Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges. For more information, please
Background / General description:
EPGDR. The Prospects Group of the Equitable Growth, Finance and Institutions Vice-Presidency (EPGDR) provides timely analysis on global economic and financial developments, and their impact on the member countries of the WBG. Internally, it informs and helps define policy positions of the WBG and provides analytical support for WBG operations. Externally, EPGDR aims to influence global policy debates on major macroeconomic and development issues. In fulfilling this objective, EPGDR leads the WBG’s monitoring, analyzing, and forecasting work in global macroeconomics. It produces topical and policy-oriented analytical work, including the semi-annual WBG corporate flagship Global Economic Prospects report and the semi-annual Commodity Markets Outlook report. In addition, EPGDR produces a wide range of analytical studies that appear as working papers, policy notes, and research publications in scientific journals, conference volumes, and book chapters.
Position. The Prospects Group is looking for a Senior Economist with excellent analytical and writing skills to contribute to its main tasks and product lines.
- High-quality research on topical issues that are of immediate concern to policymakers in emerging market and developing economies.
- Analytical contributions to EPGDR products, including the Global Economic Prospects report, one of the World Bank Group flagship reports;
- Macroeconomic and financial surveillance, including forecasting and analysis of global economic trends, to contribute to the formulation of the Bank's views on the state of the global economy and regional economic outlooks;
- The preparation of economic briefs for senior management on issues that affect the operations of the Bank and its clients;
- The development and improvement of tools for global macroeconomic analysis;
- The Senior Economist will be expected to deliver under tight and frequent deadlines in a fast-paced environment. S/he will work closely with a team of talented economists, under the guidance of EPGDR management. In addition to the contributions to EPGDR, the Senior Economist will be expected to devote a fraction of his/her time to contribute to the work of other World Bank Group units.
- Master’s degree required with eight years of relevant professional experience; Ph.D. preferred.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills in economics and econometrics.
- Strong and proven analytical skills in macroeconomics, finance, or statistics.
- Strong economic skills with an eye for policy implications of technical analysis and modeling applications.
- Record of experience, including policy publications, with quantitative economic analysis and modeling techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to policy publications and to develop policy implications from economic analysis and modeling.
- Previous experience in global macroeconomic and financial surveillance at a major financial institution required. Previous experience in regional, and/or country-level economic surveillance strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues in a multi-cultural team.
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- General Economic Knowledge and Analytical Skills — Possesses a demonstrated track record of working with economic and sectoral data and analytical tools and models to conduct economic analyses and produce user-friendly written outputs.
- Research Temperament/Intellectual Curiosity — Has demonstrated an aptitude for research through academic studies.
- Written and Verbal Communication — Delivers information effectively, including an ability to identify topical policy issues and articulate policy analysis. Experience as policy economist.
- Deliver Results for Clients — Proactively addresses clients' stated and unstated needs.