Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, governance and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Creative seeks a Senior Education Advisor for the USAID-funded Afghan Children Read project. The Senior Education Advisor provides overall technical oversight and guidance to the project’s support to improve early grade reading for grades one to three in Afghanistan.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Senior Education Advisor will report to the project’s Senior Director for Programs, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning.
- Supervises all aspects of the early grade reading program in coordination and partnership with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA);
- Ensures complementarity of activity approaches in reading across the Program regions;
- Liaises with government representatives and technicians on technical matters; and
- Ensures that children in target schools achieve improved outcomes in reading.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- A master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in education from an accredited university;
- At least eight (8) years’ experience with technical and/or operational issues related to a mix of education and development work;
- At least four (4) years of experience with work specifically to improve early grade reading is required, and more experience is preferred; and
- The candidate must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- A specialized degree, with a focus in early grade reading, is preferred but not required. A focus on early childhood education and/or early grade learning is preferred;
- Prior experience with supporting civil-society and parental engagement of reading is preferred, but not required. Experience in programs in conflict affected regions is preferred, but not required;
- It is preferred, but not required, that the candidate be conversant and fluent in written and spoken Dari or Pashto.