Senior Engineer Water and Sanitation
Mercy Corps, Kinshasa, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Program Director-Infrastructure and in collaboration with other infrastructure Team members, the Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer shall:
- Analyze/review drawings and designs submitted for Water systems and sanitation infrastructure in Bukavu, supervise construction works and ensure conformance to design specifications and required standards,
- Organize / conduct audits of ongoing work periodically with the other government and non-government partners such as Regideso, the CPAEA, division of health, consultant and construction firms etc
- Maintain positive and professional relationships with consultants and contractors
- Manage and maintain accurate field notes and prepare comprehensive reports
- Inspect materials delivered for the works
- Ensure compliance of projects to quality, environmental, social, health and safety policies
- Ensure that systems are tested and that approvals are secured prior to commencement of subsequent phases of works
- Attend progress review meetings
- Ensure that as-built drawings are submitted within the timeframe stipulated in the contract and in the right format
- Together with the technical team in Goma, maintain an up-to date database for monitoring progress of activities and keeping record of issues, risks, mitigation measures implemented, residual risks etc and constantly report to the supervisor
- Assist the deputy program Director – Infrastructure with verification of interim payment certificates submitted by the firms
- Ensure compliance with logical sequence of activities during the implementation of the work and recommend for approval and payment of all completed activities in line with guidelines and procedures established by the program.
- Document technical challenges and problems / issues encountered and report to the supervisor.
- Propose and report on any required technical modifications to the works being undertaken that may result from any unforeseen constraints
- Participate actively in development of designs and make recommendations for modifications where necessary to ensure proper functioning of the system
- Ensure integration of other components in design and works such as special consideration of persons with disabilities, gender etc
- Work closely with project partners in Bukavu such as local authorities, the beneficiary communities, NGOs working in the water and sanitation sector to ensure the achievement of the strategic objectives of the program.
- In doing this, he/she must ensure that strategic communication is approved by the supervisor
- Provide recommendations and guidance to the firms undertaking the works as part of quality assurance
- Conduct assessments of proposed sites and work together with Local authorities in securing sites for works, guide the firms engaged for the works and report on progress to the supervisor
- Regularly check the degree of involvement of beneficiaries in the implementation of the project (design, execution of works)
- Anticipate and report on and manage changes that will directly affect the progress of work
- Identify, report on and manage risks associated with the works and ensure that the mitigation plans are effectively implemented
- Review designs, reports and documents submitted for the works in a timely manner
- Ensure that all project activities are being implemented in line with the budgets codes
- Ensure integration of the infrastructure works component with other components of the program
- Ensure management of administrative, logistical and financial field activities carried out by the technical teams
- He/she will ensure close collaboration in the technical team in Bukavu and shall also collaborate with the technical team in Goma and other program components
- In coordination with the supervisor, conduct performance reviews of the technical team in Bukavu, in accordance with the procedures of the performance management implemented by HR Mercy Corps
- Report regularly to the supervisor on the progress of all design/construction activities, challenges encountered, risks etc with suggestions on recommendations for improvement
- Maintain regular information exchange with the other members of the infrastructure team on the progress of work.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports on progress of activities and submit to the supervisor
- Ensure the proper record keeping of documents like contract specifications, reports, technical drawings, correspondences etc
- Participate in important and relevant stakeholder meetings such as WaSH cluster meetings and update the infrastructure team.
- Participate in the recruitment of technical staffs (junior water engineer) required for the day to day supervision of work in Bukavu.
- Occasional/ upon request follow up of other IMAGINE component activities in Bukavu
- Perform any other relevant tasks assigned from time to time by management
- Pay attention to security related issues that may affect the works and report this to the supervisor
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselve
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Civil Engineering, hydraulics, water Engineering, sanitation engineering or other similar disciplines,
- 7-10 years’ experience in design and construction management of water and sanitation infrastructure projects. Additional experience working in maintenance of or projects related to large water treatment works is a plus
- Experience in design of water and sanitation systems both sewer and onsite sanitation facilities
- Experience or understanding of design-build project delivery method
- Experience with standard construction testing methods and documentation as it relates to urban scale water and sanitation facilities
- Previous experience in Africa, DRC or other developing country context;
- Demonstrated delivery capability, working within procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Have excellent analytical and organizational skills, self-control
- Good knowledge of computer packages for design (specifically technical software such as: Autocad, Epanet, WaterCAD, SEWERCAD, Software of Geographical Information System (GIS), and other Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of English and French
- Knowledge cities of Goma and Bukavu and the surrounding area
- Experience in projects related to faecal sludge management
- Mastery of gender mainstreaming and protection,
- Experiences with Humanitarian NGOs
- Knowledge of FIDIC forms of contracting