Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
• The World Bank (WB) is seeking to recruit a highly qualified Senior Environmental Specialist with proven operational, analytical, and safeguards experience to join its field-based team in Cairo, Egypt.
• This assignment is a three-year position with scheduled start date of xx xx 2015.
• The Environmental Specialist’s primary duties are to assist in the implementation of World Bank operations, safeguards and analytical work in the environment and natural resources management sectors.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Environmental Safeguards inputs to projects – from identification to preparation, implementation, and completion – to ensure that projects integrate good environmental management practices, and that the Bank’s environmental safeguards policies are complied with in full. The Environment Specialist is expected to dedicate 70% of his/her time working on environmental safeguards for projects either under preparation in implementation at any given time and possibly covering Yemen, Lebanon, Iraq, and Djibouti. He/she is expected to work as part of various Bank teams, to take part in Bank missions, to deliver targeted capacity-building inputs to counterparts in environmental assessment and environmental safeguards policy.
• Assisting teams working on environment, natural resources management, and climate change to conduct policy dialogue, to supervise ongoing projects/program, and to follow up with clients/counterparts and other developmental partners. It is estimated that this will require about 20% of time inputs from the post-holder.
• Providing inputs to Country Partnership Framework (CPF), the preparation of environmental briefs for management, presentations, and pieces of analytical or knowledge products as needed. This is estimated to be about 5% of time inputs from the post-holder.
• Assist in preparing/reviewing terms of reference for environmental assessments; review environmental safeguards instruments and other analytical tools required for investment design and implementation. This may require providing assistance to the staff or client to assure the quality of project documentation before submission to the MNA Regional Safeguards Secretariat for approval. Finally, the Environment Specialist will be expected to provide guidance to the borrower/implementing agency apply the safeguards policies effectively.
• During project preparation and implementation, the Environment Specialist will go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to improve environmental outcomes of the project he/she is supporting. The specialist will be expected to contribute to well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation.
• Providing technical leadership and practical guidance to counterparts and the Bank teams on the ENR and climate change agenda, and leading project pipeline development that adequately responds to the Government and Bank priorities; and contributing to broader strategic discussions in demining the contribution of ENR to Egypt’s development discourse and the Bank’s programs.
• Providing ENR inputs to operations managed by other GPs, and providing advice on environmental risks and their management; actively participating in discussions and working groups of development partners and other stakeholders related to Environment; strengthening partnerships; and mobilizing resources to leverage the Bank’s impact.
• Contributing to the ENR Global Practice by sharing and seeking knowledge across countries and Regions, and work with organizations within and outside the Bank to advance knowledge and knowledge sharing.
• Have a minimum of a Master’s degree in environment/natural resources management/engineering;
• Have has at least eight years of working experience of both technical and socio-economic aspects of environment and/or natural resource management/environmental engineering;
• Proven ability to conceptualize, design, and implement environment/sustainable natural resource management programs and carry out analytical work;
• Familiarity with organizations working on these areas internationally, and with the latest advances in applied research and development, and their applicability to range of ecosystems and country circumstances;
• Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments, end adjust to and prioritize a variety of complex evolving tasks;
• An ability to work successfully in a multicultural setting, across disciplinary boundaries and in a team-based work environment;
• Strong communications skills, in addition to excellent writing and communications ability in English and Arabic;
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop effective relations within and outside the Bank, and to promote collaboration within the team to meet Global Practice and Regional objectives;
• Strong client orientation with commitment to results on the ground;
• Exhibit trustworthiness, integrity, dedication, perseverance, and a “can-do “attitude;
• Ability and willingness to travel frequently within the MENA Region;
• Command of Bank and operational rules and procedures, including safeguards would be an advantage;
• Experience with multi-stakeholder dialogue would be a strong advantage;
• Sound understanding of information technology, with experience in applying Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) as a minimum set.