Senior Environmental Specialist
The World Bank, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Accountabilities:
- The Bank is recruiting a Senior Environmental Specialist to support the Africa region in the preparation and implementation of lending operations and ASAs in coordination with governments, donors and other stakeholders particularly in the areas of environmental management, pollution and safeguards.
- The staff will be based in Dakar but will serve most of West Africa. More specifically the staff to be hired will be expected to:Safeguards due diligence: in support to projects (mainly environmental category A and B) in different sectors
During project preparation:
- identify which of the Bank’s safeguards policies will be triggered and which instruments are best suited to comply with these policies;
- assist the borrower/project implementing agency in preparing these instruments, review them for quality and present them to sector management and/or the Africa Regional Safeguards Secretariat for approval;
- contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation;
During project implementation:
- supervise compliance with the Bank’s safeguards policies by building effective working relationships with the borrower/project implementing agency to ensure proper understanding of the policies;
- help the borrower/implementing agency apply the safeguards policies effectively through his/her participation to training and other capacity building initiatives.
During both preparation and implementation:
- go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to improve the environmental outcomes of the project he/she is supporting;
- the Sr. Environment Safeguard Specialist will work closely with the Social Safeguard Specialist assigned to each operation, and will provide back-up support as required.
Environmental projects development, implementation and support:
- Get involved, for select countries to be agreed upon with management, in country team discussions (Systematic Country Diagnostics, Country Partnership Frameworks, etc.) and provide contributions as needed.
- Support engagement in select countries (principally countries within the purview of GEN07) around environmental issues with focus on environmental management, forestry, pollution coastal zone management and contribute towards translating these dialogues into proposals for IDA and or GEF/Trust Fund financing.
- Contribute at the corporate level to knowledge sharing particularly in the area of safeguards implementation and share experience through participation to workshops, brown-bag lunches, thematic groups meetings, etc.
In addition to the above the above core competencies the following criteria will have to be satisfied for the position of Senior Environmental Specialist:
- PhD or Master’s degree or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant discipline, e.g. environmental science, environmental engineering, environmental economics, biology, etc.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in the environmental sector, including proven experience in assessing environmental impacts of large infrastructure projects and pollution related projects;
- Good knowledge of environmental legislation and institutions in African countries;
- Experience with the application of the World Bank’s environmental safeguards policies;
- Familiarity with social safeguards issues (particularly field experience with involuntary resettlement) will also be an advantage.
In addition the following skills, at a fully proficient level, will be particularly considered during the selection process:
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams based in multiple locations on diverse and complex tasks;
- Strong client orientation with the ability to build an understanding with implementing agency counterparts on the value-added of Bank safeguards;
- A drive for results while working with limited supervision and under tight timelines;
- A penchant for solving problems rather than merely identifying them;
- An ability to think innovatively and negotiate effectively;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French;
- Willingness to travel within the whole Africa region, as well as internationally as necessary.