How can you make a difference?
To achieve the objectives of this assignment, the Evaluation Consultant will provide technical support throughout evaluation processes from preparation and design through to implementation, dissemination and use to ensure the production of independent and credible evidence that meets high professional standards in line with UN norms and standards for Evaluation, UNEG codes of conduct for evaluation in the UN system and Ethical Guideline, embodied in UNICEF’s evaluation standards. In support of LAC Regional Adviser– Evaluation the consultant will provide technical assistance for:
Technical support on evaluations at regional and country level: Together with concerned programme staff in RO and/or CO, managing evaluation process from conceptualization. Additionally, the consultant will support:
- LACRO Regional Advisor – Evaluation and other programmes and CO senior management for scoping regional and country level evaluations, including CPEs and strategic evaluations, clarifying its intent and identifying key issues;
- In consultation with RO and CO, drafting initial concept notes for regional evaluations as well as for CPE, identifying key stakeholders and establishing an Evaluation Management Group (EMG) and a Reference Group (RG) involving CO senior management and external partners – as well as RO and HQ stakeholders as relevant
- Contribute to Development of the evaluation Terms of reference (TOR) for regional evaluations as well as CPE, including sharing the draft TOR with the Regional Adviser - Evaluation, RO Evidence group, participating CO(s) and RG for review, using their feedback to finalize the document
- Consolidating a repository of information needed for the evaluation before start of inception that will be accessible to the evaluation team;
- Provide technical input on evaluation team selection;
- Facilitation of evaluation team orientation meetings;
- Liaison with the evaluation team as needed;
- RO and/or CO for convening RG at key stages of the evaluation on behalf of the chair, and provision of secretariat services;
- Coordination with the evaluation team and the participating CO staffs to prepare field site visit schedules in line with the requirements agreed in the inception phase and organization of meetings (including a briefing and debriefing);
- Organization of a workshop with the evaluation team, RG and key stakeholders to validate evaluation findings and proposed recommendations;
- As appropriate, organization of a brief session at the end of the process to reflect on the lessons and the process - with a representative of the consulting firm or the team leader;
- Provide technical support in Conducting of evaluability assessment of planned evaluations based on LACR COs requests;
Technical support on Strengthening evaluation quality assurance:
- Providing initial technical review and comments on draft of TOR, inception and evaluation report to ensure that evaluation deliverables are fully compliant with the UNEG Norms and Standards and UNICEF evaluation quality and ethical standards as well as relating guidelines;
- Sharing the final draft TOR, inception and evaluation report with RG and relevant stakeholders for their review and comment;
- Collating all comments received on draft inception and evaluation report in a matrix and following up to ensure that the evaluation team address all of them or provides a rationale if any comments are not addressed;
- Quality assure Regional and CO evaluation deliverables submitted including inception and evaluation reports in timely manner.
Technical support on Promoting evaluation dissemination and use:
- Ensuring a high level of communication with RO and CO throughout the entire process to foster ownership and use of the evaluation;
- Developing an evaluation dissemination plan for regional and CO evaluations when needed;
- Facilitating the development of a management response and dissemination of the evaluation report and its findings with all evaluation stakeholders;
- Distilling evaluation findings and preparing appropriate policy and communication briefs of evaluation findings and recommendations with the objective to support uptake of evaluation findings - in particular in support of countries developing CPDs in 2020;
- Identifying lessons and good practices from LACR evaluations, innovations and emerging knowledge on evaluation related matters and disseminating them to UNICEF and external stakeholders.
Technical Support on Capacity development of LACRO/CO staffs:
- Training and strengthening capacity on evaluation planning and management to staffs either in RO and/or COs, when needed.
Other assignments as may be assigned to her/him
- Prepare ToRs of Evaluation products, such as Evaluations, Evaluability Assessments, Synthesis evaluations, etc.
- Provide feedback to ToRs, Inception Reports, and Evaluation Reports for evaluations;
- Consult Country Office to contribute to develop the LAC Region Evaluation Strategy 2021-2025, including staff capacity assessment and human and financial resources gaps;
- Prepare and or analyze evaluation related products (reports, briefs, evaluability assessments, syntheses, etc.) to ensure use of evaluation findings, conclusions, lessons learned and recommendations;
- Support Country Offices in ensuring the UNEG Evaluation norms and standards are implemented;
- Contribute to capacity development of UNICEF CO Staff on evaluation, through virtual and on-site training, webinars and other capacity building related activities;
- Contribute to the preparation of presentations, briefs, and other reports on evaluation in UNICEF LAC;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on evaluation.
Expected deliverables for this consultancy are:
- Terms of Reference of regional, multi-country or Country Office-led Evaluation related products: Evaluations, Evaluability Assessments, Synthesis evaluations, etc.
- Written feedback for ToRs, Inception Reports, and Evaluation Reports for multi-country evaluations or CO evaluations, as per quality standards of the UNICEF LAC Regional Office.
- Report of evaluation capacity mapping in UNICEF LAC, including human and financial resources gaps, for UNICEF.
- Analytical report of national capacities on evaluation in Governments in the LAC Region
- Analytical report of evaluation related-products (reports, evaluability assessments, syntheses, etc.)
- Report of technical guidance for Country Offices in the implementation of Evaluation norms and guidance;
- Evaluation training materials for UNICEF CO Staff, through virtual and on-site training, webinars and other capacity building related activities
- Presentation (PPT), briefs, and other analytical reports on evaluation in UNICEF LAC
- Report of facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on evaluation.
For each task, the deliverables will be agreed upon on the basis of a monthly work plan with a brief description of the assignment. Additional task could be included based on the needs and demands of the Regional Office.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree (Master) in evaluation, social sciences or other related fields.
- At least eight years or more of relevant professional work experience in implementing and managing evaluations, preferably for the UN System
- Proven excellent knowledge of UNEG evaluation Norms and Standards
- Experience in Quality Assurance Systems for Evaluations is an asset
- Experience working in LAC Countries
- Experience in consultation processes
- Familiarity of Human rights and Gender approach to evaluations
- Familiarity with humanitarian evaluations, is an asset
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
- Knowledge of French or Portuguese will be considered an asset.