The Mozambique Monitoring and Evaluation Mechanism and Services (MMEMS) team provides on-the-ground support on performance monitoring, data verification, gender, impact evaluation, output, environmental compliance, and collaboration, learning and adapting (CLA) assistance to USAID/Mozambique. The MMEMS main office is in Maputo, with field offices in Quelimane and Nampula.
Please note: Only Mozambican citizens are eligible for this position
The Senior Evaluation Officer (SEO) is a key position that will lead efforts to advise and help strengthen performance evaluation and related tasks within USAID and across its partners. They will work with key stakeholders (i.e., partners, Mission staff) and provide expert technical input and advice to design or strengthen performance indicators, project development, Activity, and Government-to-Government (G2G) Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) plans. They will also set targets, collect program data, assess data quality, manage and analyze performance and other data, strengthen reporting, as well as learn from and use data. This will include providing trainings to various staff and stakeholders on developing and implementing MEL systems and tasks, facilitating theory of change sessions, and providing technical input and advice to USAID and other stakeholders. Working with the Chief of Party and Senior Advisors, the Senior Monitoring Officer will ensure that MMEMS monitoring support and deliverables are of the highest quality completed on-time against tight deadlines. They will maintain the MMEMS MEL Plan, ensure data are corrected appropriately, maintained, and analyzed as stipulated in the MEL Plan. The Senior Monitoring Officer will continuously work to build the capacity of MMEMS staff with which they work.
- Provide leadership for and ensure quality of the design, management, and implementation of performance and impact evaluation, analyses, population based surveys and assessments.
- Support the design of performance and impact evaluation methodologies, development of participatory data collection methods and protocols, quantitative and qualitative analyses, and utilization of data quality verification techniques.
- Include gender dimensions in evaluations.
- Provide oversight of evaluation-related task orders under MMEMS Lead/oversee the drafting and finalizing of evaluation reports.
- Ensure evaluations are conducted consistent with USAID evaluation policies.
- Support the use of technological innovations when conducting evaluations, such as tablets, smartphones, evaluation-related software applications, etc.
- Incorporate the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in evaluations when feasible and appropriate.
- Ensure that evaluation teams follow MSIs approach to quality management of evaluations.
- Provide group (of various sizes), on-on-one, and remote training and mentoring on evaluation-related subjects.
- Work with the Mozambican evaluation community, as appropriate, to carry out evaluations.
- Together with the Senior Monitoring Officer ensures MMEMS efforts on Collaboration, Learning and Adapting (CLA) are of consistently high quality.
- Liaise with GoM, as useful, to advance the purposes of the project.
- Assist in completing other tasks in other areas to balance workloads, such as assisting with editing Portuguese documents, compiling reporting documents, etc., when needed.
- Ensure all work is performed professionally and ethically while promoting a cohesive, positive working environment.
- A Masters (or higher) degree in the field of international relations, economics, political science, public policy, statistics, and/or other relevant fields.
- Academic or professional training in performance evaluation design and implementation, including data collection and analysis.
- At least eight (8) years of progressively more responsible experience in the design and management of indicators, M&E plans, performance targets, data quality assessments, data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Experience providing guidance in the development and updating of MEL Plans.
- Experience with creating and managing performance indicator tracking systems/databases.
- Experience using performance evaluation data for the improvement of ongoing project/activity management.
- Experience in the gender dimensions of evaluation.
- Extensive experience in drafting indicators.
- Experience providing group (of various sizes) and one-on-one training and mentoring on monitoring- related subjects (i.e., results-based management).
- Familiarity with USG policies related to performance monitoring.
- Familiarity with a diverse set of programming (i.e., health, agriculture, education, governance), one of which must be health.
- Fluent English and Portuguese.