How the Senior Expert fits into the Integrity team
The Senior Expert (Economist / M&E) will be a varied technical and management role at Integrity, working primarily on the design and delivery of Monitoring Evaluation and Learning projects. There will be a particular focus on economic development.
The Senior Expert will sit within our Directorate Services (D/Services) which leads the design and delivery of our work. Your responsibilities will include: project direction and management, technical delivery, business and proposal development, and wider institutional learning. You will work flexibly across Integrity’s different services and directorates and be attracted to a fast-paced working environment.
The Senior Expert will be based in London and will report to someone in Directorate Services at a more senior management level. You will also work closely with other directorates, particularly Directorate Business (D/Business) to design new projects, manage consultants and build relationships with key partners and institutions.
The Senior Expert’s Scope of Work
The Senior Expert role is a varied one, including project design, delivery and learning.
You will play a major role in the delivery of contracted projects, particularly relating to MEL and economic development. This will require experience in project direction and management, technical expertise and confidence in managing teams and working effectively with clients.
You will support the technical design of bids for clients including DFID, the FCO and USAID. This includes developing appropriate and innovative approaches and methodologies to meet the needs of our clients and writing technical proposals. These proposals will relate to key service offerings, including: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL); Research, Evidence & Analysis; and Data and Knowledge Management. You will particularly support the economic growth thematic, but also work flexibly across other areas including: governance, security and justice, fragility and conflict, health, education, and natural resources and environment.
In addition, you will also support the consolidation of good practice within the company and take on line management responsibilities for more junior staff members.
Terms of Reference
The Expert plays a key role in designing Integrity’s approaches relating to economics and MEL, particularly through developing approach papers, leading technical proposals, assuring the quality of Integrity’s overall approach and representing Integrity externally.
- Contribute and sometimes lead the articulation, development and roll-out of approaches and methodologies, in line with Company Strategy.
- Provide internal and external thought leadership on Integrity’s technical offering.
- Lead on, and contribute to, the technical design of new Integrity opportunities, from identification and pre-positioning through to submission, negotiation and inception.
- Develop and sustain strong working relationships with key government clients and other relevant accounts.
- Provide constructive quality assurance of technical offers on selected new programmes and/or bids.
- Support the growth and/or improvement of the MEL service offering, under the leadership of H/MEL.
- Engage with and influence emerging opportunities and delivery concepts and ensure Integrity’s MEL offering is responsive to market requirements.
- Lead and/or contribute to internal and external communications on agreed services, thematics and/or geographies.
Technical Delivery (50%)
The Expert will play a key role in delivering Integrity’s projects. This includes leadership and advisory roles and working in collaboration with leading experts from Integrity’s bench. Particular areas of focus will include:
Economic Analysis and Evaluation
- Support the application, refinement and technical development of approaches to evaluation VfM and economic returns to programme delivery.
- The preparation or appraisal of international development business cases e.g. for DFID or DIT.
- Economic impact assessment or cost-benefit analysis of development programmes
- Analysis of the non-monetised effects of trade, investment and business-related international development programmes e.g. network effects, market access or concepts ‘soft power’.
- Critical analysis of causal pathways in a project or programme e.g. development of theories of change or contribution analysis within an evaluation context.
- Undertaking desk-based research and writing reports to address client needs.
- Contributing to or undertaking external workshops (i.e. with client teams)
- Undertaking reviews and quality assurance of technical deliverables
- Undertaking remote and in-country fieldwork and data collection, as well as data analysis and write up of findings.
- Supporting the Evaluation and Technical Leads to roll out the approaches and tools across the Evaluation Teams, providing guidance on use of tools, data collection, data analysis and write up of findings into evaluation reporting.
- Establish and manage relationships with evaluation stakeholders, to ensure effective technical collaboration.
- Support the management and oversight of evaluation teams’ delivery and work planning
- Oversight of evaluation risks and progress.
- Developing and maintaining guidance documents / operational manuals setting out more detail on evaluation tasks, methods and tools.
- Management of evaluation data aimed at connecting multiple evaluations for synthesis at higher analytical levels.
Project Direction & Management (15%)
The Expert will support Integrity to deliver its portfolio of projects and relationships on time and to high quality standards through management and governance roles.
- Sponsor select contracted projects in governance and/or management capacities as Project Director and/or as member of project governance board.
- Negotiate successful proposals to contract ensuring effective coordination with relevant parties across Integrity’s four directorates.
- Lead on project responses to strategic risks and opportunities.
- Balance internal and external resource requirements.
- Effectively, empathetically and diligently manage relationships with clients, consortium partners and stakeholders more broadly.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget, to high levels of quality and in keeping with Integrity’s ethics and ethos.
The Expert supports internal and external learning, particularly around MEL and health. This includes building awareness of Integrity’s approaches and strengthening the capacity of colleagues to design and deliver to the required standard.
- Lead the identification of lessons from across Integrity’s portfolio, and beyond, and facilitate lesson-learning across the Team.
- Work with colleagues to support their professional development in areas of specific expertise or companies, including supporting the development of in-house training materials and delivery of training.
- Engage with the wider sector through attendance and participation in external events etc.
- Improve information capture, institutional memory and learning from Integrity’s projects.
- Develop Integrity’s capacity toolkit attached to Economics-related areas of work.
- Champion Integrity’s internal Economic Growth Thematic.
- 2% of the Senior Expert’s time will be reserved for professional development and learning activities.
Staff Management (5%)
- Line manage select Integrity staff and/or corporate consultants at grade levels below S3.
- Work with colleagues under line management to develop their careers, contributing to professional advancement, job satisfaction and personnel retention.
The Senior Expert will have:
- 7-15 years+ experience working on monitoring, evaluation and learning (or a related area) within international development and/or the consultancy sector.
- Experience designing and delivering complex MEL programmes and projects, preferably for UK Government funded projects.
- Experience managing teams of staff and consultants for the successful delivery of projects. Master’s degree in a relevant subject such as economics, political economy, international development or related subject.
- Economic growth/development thematic experience, such as Trade, Financial and economic reform, Ease of doing business, Investment in infrastructure, Energy & low carbon development, and Human capital, innovation and technology.
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of monitoring and/or evaluation systems, original data gathering and analysis including design of survey instruments, and M&E system design and management.
- Demonstrated ability to provide independent analysis and interpretation of performance data using advanced methods in economics, policy analysis, and/or statistics.
- Experience applying economic concepts to real-world problems, using data and analysis to reach conclusions and provide recommendations. Knowledge of statistical software (such as STATA or SPSS), and strong proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent ability to communicate, work in a team, and collaborate with individuals with diverse technical backgrounds and with external stakeholders including government entities and international agencies.
- Written and oral fluency in English, with the ability to write clear and compelling narrative.
It is desirable that the Senior Expert will also have:
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative evaluation methodologies with particular expertise in Value for Money (VfM) programming;
- Experience of HMG’s Green Book analysis (cost-benefit) and/or VfM analysis;
- Experience with trade impact modelling and investment analysis (trade wins, market opening, etc.);
- Experience working with DFID and/or FCO.
- Experience working in FCAS environments.
- Experience supporting the pursuit of new business, including competitive bidding.
- Software expertise, e.g. Microsoft Excel, Access etc.
- French and/or Arabic language skills.