Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
GSO (HQ) Assistance
- Participate in working groups and meetings to identify and create work plans, procedures and policies for the organization
- Assistance as needed by the Treasury Analyst, Senior Field Accounting Manager and International Finance Manager for Receivables, audit inquiries, etc.
- Work with the cash management/Treasury Manager for cash requests
- Coordinate with the other units of Accounting as necessary.
- Other assignments as necessary.
Regional Support: Middle East
- Review grant proposal and budget modifications for compliance with RI policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance with Donor requirements such as USAID, US Department of State, EU, UN, UK and other global donors.
- Review monthly reports of country and project expenditure assisting regional and project staff with budget related issues.
- Review field financial reports for timely submission, proper recording of transactions and accurate utilization of the chart of accounts, including f in-kind donations
- Review of Donor Reports prior to submission
- Regular interface with the regional and country finance managers, ensuring up-to-date data entry for real-time reporting within NetSuite.
- Assistance to Program Development and Regional teams with Donor Proposals
- Facilitate financial close-out of projects at GSO
- Development of project or country specific reports to assist with program and country management
- Development of report templates to facilitate donor reporting
- Review of BVA and other monthly reports as well as coordinate any necessary responses or actions to be taken at GSO
- Lead monthly financial reviews including balance sheets and other reports, provide feedback to country teams and to regional support teams. Track outstanding issues and coordinate resolution with other departments such as GCU, PAL etc
- Participate in monthly Grants Management calls as a representative of the Finance Department
- Coordinate with Regional and country teams in developing management responses to audit reports, propose action plans to remediate audit findings, and follow up to support implementation and ensure compliance for Global Controller/CFO review.
- Assist in the development of local policies and procedures to meet global requirements.
- Travel to field offices as required
- Lead the preparation of project budgets and modifications, as needed
- Work with the field and headquarters staff to ensure that corporate and donor policies and procedures are adhered to and standard accounting practices are utilized.
- Serve as the point person for GSO-related financial queries, reviewing monthly field office projections, coordinating all correspondence from the field office regarding wiring of cash, payments and other financial matters.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Arabic speaking
- Strong computer skills; NetSuite and Adaptive insights knowledge a strong plus
- BA in finance/accounting; MBA preferred
- 3-5 years of experience working in an international NGO
- Use judgment and decision-making to execute responsibilities and duties.
- Work independently with initiative to manage conflicting priorities, high volume and sensitive work flow .
- Analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify and resolve essential elements of complex project management issues.
- Ability to act in an advisory capacity with program staff on financial matters related to grants and cooperative agreements.
- Ability to analyze budgets, define problems, and draw valid conclusions.
- Demonstrated ability to read, analyze, and interpret donor and federal regulations as well as European Union and the UN
- Capability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
- Develop and implement effective strategies and tactics for accomplishing assigned duties.
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to effectively present information, strengthen capacity, respond to questions, and write reports, policies and procedures, and other critical documents.
RI Values: We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation