Senior Finance Officer
Spark , Iraq
Closing Date for Applications:
Under direct supervision of the Regional Finance Manager (RFM)and in close coordination with the Regional Programme Manager (RPM)and the local team. The Senior Finance Officer is responsible for effective and accurate financial and accounting of SPARKs EU funded higher education programme in Iraq. Furthermore, the Senior Finance Officer will ensure compliance, managing financial risks, auditing and timely financial reporting to donors under the Programme. This also includes the budget follow-ups, cash management, implementation of SPARK’s operational and financial management strategies and procedures.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the financial management of SPARK’s EU funded higher education programme in Iraq under the supervision of the Regional Finance Manager (RFM);
- Ensure financial compliance with the SPARK and donor regulations and procedures;
- Prepares and submits the projects’ financial reports to RFM and HQ within the deadlines donor requirements;
- Prepares budget versus spending and Reviews actual expenditure against budgets regularly and inform to PLs/budget holders;
- Prepare and conduct all project payments including partner instalments and student stipends on a monthly basis;
- Contributes to budget reallocations and if needed no-cost extension requests;
- Collects, reviews and controls compliance of all invoices with the related contract, grants etc., submits originals/copies of such invoices and payment requests for further processing, while keeping a copy of invoices;
- Prepares / reviews bank and cash reconciliation on monthly basis.
- Prepares balance sheet reconciliation on Monthly basis.
- Provides technical support and/or trainings to local partners in budget preparation, forecast and revision process, reporting on these budgets, consistency and compliance, and preparation for external audits when needed.
- Reviews financial reports and supporting documents of our implementing partners on monthly basis and do a balance confirmation with implementing partners on quarterly basis.
- Assists RFM with annual budgets and monthly cash flow projections and ensures financial resources availability in the country offices, in coordination with RFM;
- Suggests and develops tools, formats and templates for an effective, transparent and consistent financial management as well as decision-making and strategic planning purposes;
- Work closely with certified public accountant to ensure compliance with local law.
- Assist in preparation for the SPARK audit, including preparing assigned audit scheduled and gathering other information as needed.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary
Requirements and Skills
- BA and/or MA in Finance/Accounting, Business, or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy;
- Minimum 3-5 years relevant experience in financial management and operational systems in projects’ administration, project management, financial management and audit management within the private sector or International NGOs;
- Proven experience in handling large scale- multi-donor funding, reporting systems;
- Knowledge of audit track, accounting and budgetary procedures and techniques, procurement of goods and services, stocks and assets control;
- Prior experience with EU grants is desirable;
- Prior experience working in higher education or livelihoods programmes is an advantage;
- Full professional proficiency in English and Kurdish;
- Arabic is desirable