The Secretariat’s headquarters is organized into four main Business Groups in Geneva, and five Business Groups in the field, namely; Americas (Panama City); Africa (Nairobi); Asia/Pacific (Kuala Lumpur); Europe (Budapest); Middle East and North Africa (Beirut). The Africa Regional Office is organized in Country Cluster Support Teams (CCST) covering the National Societies in Eastern Africa, Indian Ocean Islands and Djibouti, Southern Africa, West Coast, Sahel and Central Africa as well as Country Offices in Sudan, Republic of South Sudan, Somalia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Sierra Leone, Niger and Central Africa. The Southern Africa Country Cluster office supports 9 South Africa, Malawi, Mozambique, Eswatini, Lesotho, Botswana, Zambia, Namibia and Zimbabwe. Mozambique was hit by two category 4 tropical cyclones (Idai and Kenneth) in one season. Mozambique National Disaster Management Institute (INGC) indicated that 1.5 million people were affected, including more than 140,000 people displaced – many sheltered across 139 evacuation centres, spontaneous settings and makeshift shelters at peak emergency moment. Some 603 people have been confirmed dead as a result of the cyclone, according to the most recent reports issued by INGC. At the same time, more than 1,600 people were injured, and more than 230,000 houses were damaged and destroyed. Tropical Cyclone Idai has also affected Mozambique’s food security and livelihoods in the long term, due to extensive damage to standing crops immediately before the harvest season due in the months of March-April as well as loss of seeds and tools . The entire southern Africa region has been facing the effects of the ongoing El Niño with below-average cumulative rainfall and abnormally high temperatures for the 2018/19 season. The whole southern Africa region has suffered from sustained drought in recent years. Nearly one month later, cyclone Kenneth has hit Northern Mozambique’s coastal province of Cabo Delgado. The cyclone Kenneth has left destructions of houses, standing crops and key installations. The assessment report indicates that over 37,000 houses either have been damaged or destroyed. IFRC has revised Emergency Appeal to assist households affected by cyclone Kenneth. IFRC has launched an Emergency Appeal on 19 March for CHF 31 million which was revised on 06 May for CHF 32 million to assist 172,500 people affected by cyclones Idain and Kenneth for 24 months. The Emergency Appeal operation focuses on shelter, livelihoods and basic needs, health, WATSAN, protection, gender and Inclusion and Disaster Risk Reduction and national society capacity strengthening in emergency.
To perform the accounting functions of Mozambique delegation in line with Federation financial procedures and policies and to provide financial management support to Mozambique Delegation and the Mozambique Red Cross Society.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Audit and Compliance
- Receive the National Society field returns journals; check the returns for proper coding, accuracy, documentation and compliance with IFRC Financial Management Procedures, and input the returns into CODA.
- Ensure that all working and mission advances for delegates and local staff are received by 25th of every month. Check working advance journals for accuracy, coding and proper documentation, and input into CODA.
- Track income on all projects, maintain and reviewing a record of all Pledge Management Notes and correspondence with donors.
- Disburse work advance funds to the National society in timely manner monthly., Prepare the transfer request to be executed through money facilitator and payment of the same upon confirmation of receipt of funds by the branches, execute the transfer directly through the bank.
- Liaise with Federation- and donor-appointed auditors and review teams as required.
Internal Control and Risk Management
- Receive supplier invoices, check for proper documentation, coding and accuracy and seek budget holders’ approval, thereafter make timely payments to the suppliers.
- Ensure adequate cash flow for the program through timely preparation of monthly cash forecast and cash request for Delegation.
- Liaise with the Federation bankers to execute transfers, encashment of cheques, obtain bank statements, check balances and follow on transfers for Delegation and the branches
- Monitor the budget performance and alert the Country Representative and the Program team of any deviation and variances for corrective action.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the CODA database.
- Prepare appeal and other budgets for Delegation in Fed budget or other required formats in collaboration with the budget holders, program team and country representative.
- Prepare Budget reviews in consultation with the Country Representative, budget holders and the Program team on a regular basis.
- Prepare donor financial reports for delegation as required, both Federation standard reports and pledge-based reports.
- Prepare financial reconciliation reports on a quarterly basis and communicate them to the NS to adjust/reconcile or confirm their balances.
- Perform month end closure of accounts. Ensure the “month end checklist” is followed, all the corrections done in the in-tray, clearance of Swiss Francs (CHF) differences and reconciliation of all the balance sheet accounts.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for delegation accounts and maintain a cheque register to track the cheques issued and trace the bank transactions
- University degree in Accounting, Business Administration with CPA qualifications (Required)
- 5 years’ experience in a related position (financial management, accounting, audit and risk management) (Required)
- Previous experience working for the Federation and/or National Society an asset (Preferred)
- Experience in financial management and accounting
- Effective communication and training / coaching skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including experience and proven competence in writing narrative and financial reports
- Excellent practical computer skills (including strong competence in Windows, word processing, spreadsheets, internet/email, accounting software
- Experience in training finance and non-finance staff on financial matters
- Experience in problem identification and solution.
- Experience in writing narrative and financial reports
Knowledge, skills and languages
- Strong written and verbal communication and inter-personal skills, including working with other cultures and nationalities
- Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word-processing, e-mail)
- Self-Motivated, proactive with good judgement and initiative
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Sensitive to diversity
- Fluently spoken and written English & Portuguese