Serve as the senior designer for key projects and proposals. The job involves designing a wide range of print, presentation and web-based communication materials. Typical assignments include designing infographics, publications, logos, brochures, training curricula, kits, posters, social media graphics, PowerPoint presentations and HTML emails. These products will be part of the organization’s work in areas as health, education, civil society, environment, economic development and research.
- Conceptualize and develop print communication materials in response to the client’s communication goals.
- Meet all deadlines and budget parameters.
- Serve as design expert in project teams and proposals
- Advise clients on innovative approaches to meet their communication goals
- Design web-based communication (i.e. HTML emails).
- Create infographics, diagrams and illustrations
- Input revisions efficiently and accurately.
- Articulate the rationale behind design solutions in client presentations and correspondence.
- Prepare mock-ups and comps for presentations.
- Write print specifications, prepare print-ready files as needed and work with print vendors.
- Appraise art directors, project managers, and/or vendors about project milestones.
- Collaborate with clients, build rapport, and nurture productive professional working relationships through the course of the project
- Continuously improve technical and conceptual design skills
- Contribute to business development activities
- Maintain archive of projects following the established file structure and organization
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Must have an excellent background in print design and demonstrate an impeccable sense of typography and expertise in translating data to information graphics.
- Must have a strong concept-driven portfolio and exhibit a solid understanding of design principles.
- Good balance of conceptualization and production skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software products (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and, Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to nurture client relationships is key.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able thrive in a diverse, fast-paced collaborative studio environment and have superb time management skills.
- Section 508-compliance coding knowledge, an advantage.
- Knowledge of web design, HTML, illustration, motion graphics, and video production, an advantage.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems that are diverse in scope and require judgment in resolving or making recommendations for solutions.
- Respond to client feedback in a timely and professional manner
- Exercises judgment within defined policies and procedures to obtain solutions to perform duties.
- Decisions made generally affect own job or specific functional area.
- Supervision Given/Received:
- Serves as a mentor or lead to less experienced staff.
- Reports to an Associate Director or Director.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Graphic Design, Communication Design, Publications or Related Field.
- Typically requires a minimum 5 - 8 years professional experience in Communications Design.
- Non-governmental organization (NGO) experience preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 - 50 lbs.
Technology to be Used: Apple Macintosh, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.