Senior Humanitarian Policy Coordinator
Acción contra el Hambre, Syria
Closing Date for Applications:
You'll contribute to ending world hunger by ...
The Action Against Hunger advocacy aims to make lasting changes in intervention policies, practices and capacities in order to end hunger and malnutrition and especially acute malnutrition in children under the age of five, influencing political and economic decision makers and mobilizing public support.
the Senior Policy Humanitarian Coordinator will Support and facilitate Action Against Hunger – Spain’s advocacy policy implementation regarding Syria, in face of regional stakeholders and partners, in close coordination with advocacy officers in the mission and positioning of the organisation on the different fora and stakeholders related to this crisis.
to learn more about the Syrian Context
Key activities in your role will include
Strengthen Action Against Hunger’s advocacy and policy towards the Syria Crisis.
- Analysis of the key humanitarian challenges related with Syria and Action Against Hunger in particular upon the organisation’s mandate and nature.
- Develop, in coordination with the Mission Coordination Team and the HQ Advocacy Desk Officer a medium-term advocacy strategy for Action Against Hunger regarding Syria. The strategy will have to include a strong risk analysis for Damascus based INGOs, mitigation and protection measures and mapping of funding opportunities and political allies.
- In coordination with Mission Coordination Team and HQ Advocacy Desk Officer, support the implementation of mission’s advocacy programmes for Syria, by participating actively in all forums of interest for Action Against Hunger in the region.
Positioning and Networking.
- Maintain regular meetings with donors and the UN, individually or in coalition, to provide Action Against Hunger’s insight of the crisis.
- Provide minutes of attended meetings (Advocacy platform, donors, INGOs…).
- Provide monthly reporting to HQ Advocacy Desk Officer on activities.
- Update on regular basis the No Hunger Forum (Action Against Hunger intranet) (minutes, relevant information regarding Syria…).
- Do you meet the profile required criteria?
- Bachelors or master degree in law, political science, sociology or similar background.
- Specific studies in humanitarian aid and/or development, International Humanitarian Law.
- Proven knowledge of strategic planning, representation and coordination.
- Knowledge of Action Against Hunger technical sectors, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in working in Middle East.
- Specific knowledge on advocacy approach, design and implementation techniques.
- Significant experience on advocacy at national level, desirable regional level on the Middle East context.
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in the Humanitarian sector. Three or more years in advocacy or related field.
- Desirable: Experience in negotiation with UN, INGO, donors and coordination forums
- Languages: English fluency, French and Spanish appreciated, Arabic is a plus
- Valuable prior experience in issues related to the promotion of gender equality or personal commitment to gender equality.
- Mobility national and international