Senior Information Technology Officer
Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome, Italy
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, a Better environment and a Better life, leaving no one behind.
- Information Technology Services Division (CSI) is responsible for all information technology (IT) activities within the Organization. CSI performs, on behalf of the Organization, the following critical roles: defining FAO IT policies and providing strategic advice on IT architecture and standards, governance, policy and operational matters while monitoring organizational compliance; defining the mechanisms for managing FAO’s information and data; protecting FAO’s information assets and ensuring confidentiality, integrity and availability; ensuring provision of IT services that are core for the Organization’s global operations and supporting the information and business processes; coordinating organization-wide IT activities in order to reduce duplication and fragmentation and to increase integration of information data, systems and platforms, mobilizing IT resources from across the Organization.
- CSI manages the Organizational Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Environment, consisting of multiple systems including Global Resource Management System (GRMS) and Integrated Management Information System (iMIS), and a number of satellite systems, covering all aspects of system management including operation, support and continuous improvement.
- FAO is in the process of modernizing its ERP environment as part of a consolidated programme of work, including upgrades to newest version of software for its two flagship systems (GRMS and iMIS), implementation of Software as a Service (SaaS) modules and deploying an integration layer with a modern set of tools and cutting-edge technology. A new standard solution with minimum customizations will allow FAO to run on a stable ERP environment and use modern technology like mobile access, artificial Intelligence and business process automation, and to take advantage of any new technology and features added to the selected platform(s). To achieve this transformation, an ERP programme has been established, consisting of various discreet initiatives that aim to introduce tangible benefits for FAO by expanding/optimizing automation across various business processes worldwide as well as ensuring the continuing warranty of the ERP environment. It is overseen by the ERP governance, comprising senior management and representing FAO major stakeholders, and managed through an Enterprise Programme Office (EPO).
- CSI participates in the programme through participation in the ERP governance and is the main supplier of solutions, responsible for technical architecture and integration, coordinated through the position of ERP Technical Lead.
- The post of Senior Information Technology Officer (ERP Technical Lead) is located in the Information Services Division (CSI) at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
- The Senior Information Technology Officer (ERP Technical Lead) reports to the concerned CSI Senior Information Technology Officer with secondary reporting line to the ERP Programme Manager.
- Lead and coordinate the architecture, technical design, development, rollout, and improvement of FAO’s next generation ERP environment, as well as the plan, design and development of evolving capabilities within organizational ERP, including the core ERP modules and Business Intelligence and Analytics solutions. (S)he closely collaborates with ERP Functional Lead and ERP Programme Manager in defining future needs for the Organization’s ERP and leads and directs technical specialists in providing technical solutions and deliverables to meet the business needs of the ERP Programme. S/he will also have the responsibility to provide architectural and system design.
- Leading strategies and provision of advice, as well as IT projects and activities, to ensure that the Organization's requirements for Information Systems (IS) and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) are effectively met.
- Leads specialised activities carried out by CSI;
- Prepares work plans and monitors progress to ensure delivery of Operations and/or Projects outputs as per organizational needs and agreed priorities;
- Manages the financial and human resources assigned;
- Participates in planning, coordinating and setting policies for the development and implementation of an Organization-wide IT strategy/roadmap and for the development of supporting standards, procedures and practices according to agreed work plans;
- Develops, monitors and reports on key performance indicators of the assigned functions;
- Advises senior management on IT matters including the implications of various functional and technological alternatives and on IS/ICT strategies, governance and standards including their impact on the Organization’s ability to deliver its programmes;
- Leads the planning, coordination and setting of policies for the development and implementation of Organization-wide IS/ICT strategies and for the development of supporting standards, procedures and practices according to the agreed work plans;
- Leads special projects and supervises staff, including external service providers and consultants;
- Represents the Organization and the Division in formal meetings, negotiations, and/or mediation/problem resolution meetings to reach agreement on various IT issues and/or to resolve difficult or contentious problems.
- Provides architectural leadership as regards ERP modernization, providing proactive advice to management;
- Collaborates with the ERP Functional Leads and ERP Programme Manager seeking out opportunities for increasing organizational effectiveness and customer satisfaction;
- Leads various technical teams for the implementation and management of FAO ERP Environment, covering ERP core application modules, Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence, data and application integration and low code application development;
- Leads various technical teams in expanding analytics capabilities across multiple FAO data domains
- Provides architectural leadership for the implementation and integration of other system and business capabilities to complement the organizational ERP (e.g. project and programme management capabilities, business process automation etc.);
- Leads the definition of architecture, technical design and processes and ensures that they are implemented in line with agreed standards;
- Ensures that the ERP solution fits with FAO business requirements and the end to end technical operations processes, including systems, interfaces and platforms;
- Raises awareness on the progress of the project within CSI;
- Reviews deliverables of the project teams under his/her responsibility and ensures that quality control is in place;
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering, Mathematics/Statistics, or related fields
- Ten years of relevant experience in implementing, supporting and managing large scale ERP environments, including transactional modules and business intelligence/analytics platforms
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).