Senior International Affairs Officer
The World Bank, Brussels, Belgium
Closing Date for Applications:
About the Job/Project
- ECRBX is headed by the WBG Special Representative to the EU and includes 8 additional staff members. The Senior International Affairs Officer reports directly to the WBG Special Representative to the EU. She/he engages in strategic relationship management with institutions of the EU, Belgium, Luxembourg and NATO. S/he plays a pivotal role in implementing the office’s media strategy and in carrying out political analysis and risk management to effectively harness and leverage the authorizing environment in pursuit of the WBG mission.
- The overall objectives of the Senior International Affairs Officer position are:
- To improve the mutual understanding between the WBG and stakeholders at the European Union, Belgium, Luxembourg and NATO;
- To increase the political, institutional, intellectual and financial support of EU and country institutions to multilateral efforts in general, and WBG efforts in particular;
- To support the EU Special Representative in carrying through his corporate role vis-à-vis the EUIs, Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates, in close collaboration with the Special Representative to the EU, a strategy for strategic relationship management and outreach to the EC College of Commissioners (both principals and front offices), the newly-elected EU Parliament (selected MPs and committees of relevance to the WBG), Belgium’s and NATO’s political cabinets with a view to increasing political and financial support to the WBG mission and activities.
- Builds and strengthens relationships at the technical and mid-management levels with EUIs, NATO, Belgium and Luxembourg authorities and their staff.
- Develops and systematically maintains effective communication networks and contacts within key WBG constituencies, to inform and educate influential EU officials, staff, grassroots leaders and other constituents on development issues and the WBG work and impact.
- Builds relationships across the WBG to assist with risk and issues management, promotion of WBG.
- Supports the implementation of a one-WBG Brussels office positioning strategy, under the guidance of the Special Representative to the EU and in close collaboration with the WBG units housed in the Brussels Office.
- Plays an integrating role with the regions and the GPs to ensure that the WBG engages with partners with one voice.
- Intelligence Gathering and Analysis
- Stays abreast of the EU political debate, with a particular emphasis on those sectors of direct relevance to the WBG mandate (development, both inside and outside the EU, climate change, energy and infrastructure, migration, trade, labor issues). In particular, collects and analyzes first-hand intelligence to assess potential opportunities and impact on the WBG and to help position the group in anticipation of key political decision making processes, high-level summits, etc.
- Builds an independent opinion of partners’ needs and opportunities, including ones that may challenge traditional approaches within WBG, and translates them into concrete proposals and actions.
- Scans and evaluates current and potential future risks and their impact on support for mission and work of WBG or independent activities/programs. Develops and implements crisis management strategies to address issues of concern, as they arise.
- Ensures systematic sharing of good practice and lessons learned across the WBG and partners.
- Communications and Corporate Tasks
- Organizes regular briefings about the WBG and/or timely development topics with key Brussels-based constituencies. Conducts appropriate research, planning, development, implementation and evaluation for these activities.
- Overseas the development and implementation of ECRBX’s media engagement strategy.
- Leads agenda setting and implementation of weekly WBG Brussels Office coordination meetings (ABC meetings).
- In collaboration with relevant colleagues, based both in Brussels and HQ, leads the preparation of analytical briefing notes on major issues/events/institutions/individuals in Brussels that are of significance to the WBGs.
- Coordinates high-level missions by WBG Senior Management to Brussels and of Brussels-based constituencies to Washington DC, in close coordination with ECREU Paris and relevant HQ-based WBG units.
- Other Tasks : Mentors and develops junior staff directly reporting to her/him.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in International Relations, Public Policy, International Development, or related discipline OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Eight or more years of directly relevant work experience in any of the above disciplines in organizations working on development (e.g., in government, international organizations, academia, business, or NGOs), OR a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) plus 13 years of relevant experience.
- Very good knowledge of WBG policies and operations (first-hand experience preferred). Operational and country office experience a plus.
- Sound judgment.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Proven experience in managing complex partnerships.
- In-depth knowledge of EU affairs and institutions.
- Creative and critical thinking and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent English language skills, notably demonstrated capacity to write analytically and concisely. In particular, ability to draft complex briefing notes and political economy analysis pieces effectively and concisely, often in a short time and under pressure/at short notice.
- Fluency in French. In particular, ability to sustain, from time to time, business meetings in French.
- Sensitivity in multi-cultural environments and refined diplomatic skills.
- Ability to work in complex and decentralized teams, and to work effectively with clients at all levels.
- Proven capacity to handle competing tasks, while preserving high quality standards.
- Strong ability to work independently and in teams.
- Strong professional interest and sound knowledge of development issues.
- Strong capacity to think and act strategically.
- Self-starter personality; willing and able to work effectively under pressure.
- Fully proficient in the use of office technology (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
To Apply Visit