Senior Investment Officer
World Bank Group, Bangkok, Thailand
Closing Date for Applications:
MAS is seeking an experienced Senior Investment Officer to be based in Bangkok to complement its team to cover manufacturing, agribusiness and consumer services sectors primarily for its South Asia operations. The successful candidate will be a key member of the Asia Pacific MAS team, and will work closely with IFC offices in the region as well as global team to develop new business opportunities, execute transactions as well as manage portfolio investments.
The Senior Investment Officer will have 12-15 years of investment experience, preferably in managing clients in the manufacturing, agribusiness and consumer services sectors. Strong deal structuring, client negotiation and legal documentation coordination experience is required. Knowledge of specific business, social, environmental and developmental issues related to these sectors is preferred. The candidate will play an active lead role in full life cycle of the project, from business development to exit.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Promote and expand IFC’s investment activities in the Southeast Asia Region in the Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Consumer Services sectors.
- Proactively seek new investment opportunities in the above-mentioned sectors, be creative and innovative in developing financing structures for potential clients, develop and harness business relationships with private sector clients as well as regulators to identify opportunities, and engage and work closely with regional and HQ colleagues in business development efforts and in winning mandates.
- Maintain high level relationships with clients in South Asia to understand industry trends and create new short term and future business opportunities.
- Shape business leads into accountable concepts ready for mandate that include identifying/screening potential investment opportunities, preparing the investment thesis, leading the pre-mandate structuring of those opportunities.
- Lead teams in structuring deals that strike a balance between client’s expectations and protecting IFC’s rights.
- Independently lead a team of IFC staff to successfully closing an investment in coordination with other departments.
- Play a significant role in business development and processing of investment transactions and work as part of a diversified team. Monitor operational and financial performance of clients and compliance (IFC and external), through visits and market analysis.
- Keep abreast of developments in countries where clients are located; identify and analyze strengths and weaknesses in order to anticipate near-and long term performance.
- Proactively identify problem projects and negotiate restructurings.
- Ensure quality control of work products.
- Work proactively with Advisory Services colleagues to add value to clients in terms of investments by IFC and/or informal/formal technical assistance, and identify opportunities for repeat business. Develop and execute those opportunities.
- Manage portfolio companies until exit.
- Master's degree or equivalent professional qualification in Business, Finance, Economics, International Relations, Science, Engineering, or other relevant field.
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in the financing business, private equity or fund management with project and/or commercial finance experience in the above focus sectors.
- Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC's mission, strategy and values.
- Understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0.
- Demonstrated relationship management skills, including proven listening skills, sound business judgment, with ability to focus on the client’s needs & solve problems.
- Strong understanding of the manufacturing, agribusiness and consumer services sectors.
- Experience engaging with private sector clients, and other stakeholders to encourage pioneering business and market development.
- Experience in monitoring and reporting on a portfolio of projects/programs/initiatives.
- Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills; demonstrated ability to synthetize complex information and make concrete strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Ability to comment effectively on documents, develop junior staff as writers, and lead the writing process of business specific documents.
- Ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries.
- Ability to guide, advise, mentor and coach junior staff and peers to develop and broaden their scope of skills, including providing on the job learning opportunities.
- Excellent people skills, openness to feedback, new ideas, and ability to guide, and motivate others.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English; Knowledge in Mandarin Chinese, Thai, Bahasa Indonesian and/or Vietnamese preferred.
- Commitment to the highest standards of integrity, transparency and fairness.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work across time zones.