Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior IT Infrastructure Service Delivery Management Officer is responsible for ensuring that IT systems and services are available and delivered consistently, reliably, and effectively. The incumbent ensures the corporate Managed Service Providers (MSPs) responsible for delivering IT (infrastructure) services and support deliver efficient and effective systems and services in accordance with contractual obligations and best practices. The incumbent coordinates the work of multiple support groups, both internal to UNHCR, as well as MSPs. Understanding the current and future needs, the incumbent ensures that the IT requirements are well understood and that the services and support to staff is adequately provided.
The incumbent has regular contact with corporate MSPs, with other Service Delivery Managers (SDMs), with Solution Engineers, with vendors, with IT staff in Field Offices and all Services of the Division of Information Systems and Telecommunications (DIST). S/he understands and communicates the UNHCR IT strategy and vision, policies, and decisions in a positive manner and leads by example in the adherence and adoption. S/he will have supervisory responsibility for other IT staff both directly and in a matrixed structure. The specific reporting relationships may vary based on the size and structure of the Operation and will be specified in the Operational Context; the incumbent will provide functional direction and advice to other Service Delivery Managers.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Ensure service requests and incidents are addressed and resolved promptly within agreed service levels.
- Serve as the final escalation point for end-user and operational issues (Incidents & Service Requests) not resolved within established Service Level Agreements (SLAs); coordinate with MSPs to expedite resolution including prioritization and escalation of SLA performance breaches to supervisor or responsible service tower owner.
- Monitor Service Level performance targets (internal and external); including, follow up, validation, and audit of results.
- Work closely with other UNHCR SDMs and MSPs to carry out problem management and root cause analysis and prevent recurrence of critical problems by executing approved changes.
- Review and validate that Change Management processes are adhered to by both staff and MSPs. Ensure that change, test, and release processes are properly planned and executed. Approve installation of new or upgraded systems and services. Support deployments and testing of new IT components.
- Identify and recommend service delivery process improvements. Ensure support processes are in accordance with ITIL best-practices.
- Ensure IT standards which have been selected and approved by the Architecture Review Board are documented, updated, and maintained.
- Review system and infrastructure performance and capacity in a timely manner and ensure that service providers take appropriate action.
- Approve payments to suppliers upon careful review of invoices and SLA performance targets. Conduct/participate in periodic performance review meetings with partners.
- Provide accurate and timely information on operational status and reports to management.
- Ensure audit recommendations and actions are completed in a timely manner.
- Finalize requests for proposals and review support contracts including SLAs, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and Operational Guidelines (OGs).
- Promote a competent and motivated workforce trained to understand and use IT facilities and who implement the correct procedures and practices.
- Maintain appropriate communication channels with service providers and other relevant DIST staff.
- Review improvements to contracts, SLAs, as well as SOPs and OGs for internal and external service providers. Review and approve guidelines for Field Offices based on UNHCR standards and industry best practices.
- Ensure compliance with Service Management and IT security policies and standards, technical architecture, and service level agreements ¿ report non-compliance as appropriate.
- Allocate resources to tasks for change and improvement projects/initiatives/change requests.
- Escalate issues requiring senior management intervention.
- Assist in the recruitment and development of IT staff in accordance with business needs, budget, and personnel policies.
- Coordinate work of IT staff under direct or functional (dotted) reporting lines.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
- Information & Communications Technologies *; Computer Science *; Information Systems *;
- Information Technologies *; Engineering; Computer Engineering;
- or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Certificates and/or Licenses
- ITIL v3 foundation *; Project Management; PBX/VSAT/CISCO Sec/Firewalls;
- Satellite Communications; Microsoft Tech Specialist; Windows Server;
- Telecommunications; Satellite Communications; Information Technology;
- Risk Management;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Minimum 7 years¿ experience in IT of which 3 spent managing service delivery with SLA based delivery of both centralized and decentralized applications, systems, and services.
- Experience in team leadership in an IT operational environment
- Good understanding and practical experience of ITIL Service Operations processes driven by continuous improvement.
- Experience working with business partners and service providers to understand how IT affects an organization and link it to business processes and operational tasks.
- In depth experience working in IT infrastructure in at least two of the three fields: network, platform, end user devices and a broad experience in the other.
- Ability to influence, manage and lead negotiations with stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills that include effective communications (both verbally and written) at all levels; to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience leading a matrixed team to ensure collaboration and effective operations across multiple organizations.
- Experience in project monitoring and control, data analysis, and presentation for executive review and decision making.
- Experience coordinating activities across different partner organizations developing effective services.
- Formal certification in ITIL Service Operations beyond the foundation course: preferably ITIL v.4 ¿Managing Professional¿.
- In depth experience working in all three fields: network, platform, end user devices.
- Experience providing IT services through managed service providers, including deep field locations.
- Experience acting as an inter-agency IT focal point.
- Solid understanding of application and infrastructure technologies used in IT systems and services.
- Experience of operating in humanitarian or United Nations organizations, with field experience.
- A good understanding of UN/UNHCR reforms and the priority agenda of the organization.
- *IT-Service Delivery Management;
- *IT-IT Systems and Standards;
- *IT-Management of external service providers for IT infrastructure maintenance and support;
- IT-Computer Literacy;
- *IT-IT Technical Troubleshooting;
- IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software;
- IT-IT Cloud Hosting Services;
- IT-IT Network Monitoring & Alerting Tools;
- IT-IT Security Management;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.