Senior Legal Consultant
MAP, New Delhi, India
Closing Date for Applications:
Migration and Asylum Project (M.A.P) is currently looking for a Senior Legal Consultant to assist in the overall management and implementation of its flagship programme - providing legal representation to asylum seekers and refugees before the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Since inception, M.A.P has provided assistance to over 3000 beneficiaries. Its clients are from countries severely affected by conflict such as Afghanistan, Myanmar, Somalia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran and Syria. M.A.P’s lawyers work with victims of war and conflict; survivors of sexual and gender-based violence, torture, and harmful traditional practices; and those targeted by anti-government elements. Over 80% of M.A.P’s clients are women and children.
- Providing full legal representation to clients before UNHCR (this includes legal counselling, conducting eligibility interviews, writing reports, memorandums, legal briefs, and related documents based on the same, along with extensive country of origin research);
- Supervising the work of junior members and conducting necessary training;
- Taking day-to-day decisions and participating in programme planning;
- Providing support in managerial, administrative, financial, and knowledge management tasks;
- Reporting on the progress made in the program in accordance with the implementation plan;
- Ensuring strict compliance with internal systems for case management;
- Corresponding with UNHCR on specific cases, seeking intervention in emergency cases, and representing the issues faced by the refugee community;
- Recruiting, training and supervising staff, volunteers, interns, and interpreters in their work;
- Engaging in programme-based research, policy and advocacy;
- Assisting with fund-raising activities and interacting with donors as required.
- Conducting workshops and trainings in universities, NGOs, UNHCR etc., and representing the organization at domestic and international events.
- Maintaining office databases and drafting office correspondence.
- Such other activities which are required to meet M.A.P’s goals.
- Open to Indian citizens only.
- Graduate of Law, International Relations, Development Studies or a related field. A post-graduate degree will be an advantage.
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience. Prior experience working with refugees/migrants/IDPs or other vulnerable communities, and familiarity with UN systems, will be an advantage.
- Excellent command over written and spoken English.
- Proven experience of working under supervision as part of a team.
- Prior experience of supervision of a team and program management will be an advantage.
- Prior experience of monitoring, evaluation and reporting on outcome-based programs will be an advantage.