Background Information - Job-specific
The Senior Linux and Automation Engineer will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Information Systems Officer, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC,Valencia, Spain, provides specific expertise in the implementation and operation of the UN Hybrid Cloud strategy for the back end infrastructure including: storage arrays, SAN switches, processing cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the hybrid environment.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC and will report to Information Systems Officer or his/her designate and is responsible for the following duties:
Summary of Key Functions
- Linux and Automation Support
- Techical Lead
- Knowledge Management
Linux and Automation Support
- Administer Ansible infrastructure, perform maintenance and configuration and provide Subject Matter Expert level support. Develop Ansible playbooks and modules.
- Provide advanced technical knowledge and analysis of highly specialized operational environment with an emphasis on Linux/Red Hat functional implementation, integration, documentation, training, and technical solutions for complex virtualization problems
- Function as a Linux/Red Hat Subject Matter Expert for all system engineering activities.
- Help to architect and build automated cloud solutions, including cloud adoption plans, cloud management and monitoring, new cloud technologies integration, and data center migrations.
- Operate Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services cloud and on-prem infrastructure at data centres as well as overlay onto existing hosted server network.
- Assume role as Technical Lead on deployment projects, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
- Provide technical expertise and act as Subject Matter Expert to solve complex problems on cloud and data centre specific activities.
- Understand all domains of architecture and applies that knowledge to create repeatable and automated solutions to address complex business needs.
- Manage a team of technology experts in Infrastructure technologies.
- Reorder job priorities for Team and self as needed.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
Continually explore, evaluate and recommend advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Impact of Results
The result of work of the Senior Linux and Automation Engineer impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DPO and Peace Keeping and Special Political Missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- Secondary Education preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Telecommunications, Engineering, Statistics, or relevant field is required.
- A first or advanced level university degree in a relevant field may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) certification is required.
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ansible automation is required.
- ITIL Foundation is required.
- PRINCE2 Foundation is required.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure Architect certifications are required.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience post Secondary Education in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably in an international environment.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience with both Linux and Windows technologies and their use in delivering secure, highly available, mission critical enterprise-class solutions
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience with Ansible complex deployments for at least 500 servers.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience with Red Hat Satellite in complex deployments for at least 500 Linux servers.
- Expertise with Log Management Platform (e.g. Elastic, Kibana, Logstash)
- Experience supporting multi location enterprise grade data centre
- Experience with Identity Management and related technologies (Microsoft Active Directory (ADFS, DNS, CA, etc.) / Red Hat IDM)
- Cloud experience, preferably in Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure.
- Solid scripting skills (e.g. shell scripts, PowerShell, Python)
Language Requirements: Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement, knowledge of a second UN language an advantage.