Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
For assigned projects, the Senior Manager, Project Delivery serves as part of the Project Management Unit (PMU). This team is responsible, under the leadership of Practice Area Lead and the management of the Director, Project Delivery, for the management and delivery of projects. The specific purpose of the position is to facilitate the effective and efficidnet management of program financial and compliance activities to deliver projects in accordance with contractual obligations, company policies and client rules and regulations.
The Senior Manager, Project Delivery leads day-to-day management activities of the PMU, harmonizing technical work and compliance with our client agreements, regulations, and internal policies. Having mastered all aspects of project management, Senior Managers, project delivery, are expected to work on gaining competencies and skills needed to progress to director level roles in project delivery, or functional areas. This role also typically supervises one or more (Senior) Associate(s), Project Delivery, assuring their training in project management duties and best practices, while also promoting their development and growth into future Managers in Project Delivery or functional roles.
- Lead planning and management of project start-up and closeout in partnership with the Project Excellence team;
- Serve as the primary liaison between corporate services, Senior Managers, Project Delivery, the Compliance and Project Excellence Hub and the project;
- Support corporate registration in-country and ensure all legal and financial requirements are met and maintained for the entity and project;
- Prepare and maintain project specific components of the project management manual;
- In collaboration with the Compliance and Project Excellence Hub and corporate services, provide training and guidance to project staff on and ensure compliance with company policies and client rules and regulations (covering as required risk management, project planning, human resource management, monitoring, reporting, finance, procurement, logistics, IT, communications, audit support and all other project managements matters);
- Establish project offices and office infrastructure; facilitate field office leases;
- Participate in the development and monitoring of project work plans, tracking project deliverables and monitoring project delivery against spending forecasts;
- Support the development and presentation of internal and external reporting (i.e., quarterly Internal Project Reviews (IPRs), CPARs, project risk assessments, annual reviews, and client deliverables);
- Ensure project issues and risks are logged, monitored, reported on, managed and mitigated; escalate risks and issues to practice, project, or Compliance Hub leadership, as required;
- In collaboration with Risk Management, conduct periodic compliance checks on processes and internal controls, and lead internal reviews as requested;
- Ensure all corrective actions for assigned projects are implemented and report back to confirm their completion via the risk portal;
- Serve as a point of contact with service providers and address contractual matters as required;
- Develop project subcontractor, grants management, and procurement procedures compliant with internal and client rules and regulations;
- Regularly monitor quality of field procurement; ensuring compliance with company anti-corruption and due diligence processes;
- Report monthly on the status of partner budgets, invoicing, and grants;
- Work closely with the Security Team on planning and coordination for project needs, as required;
- Contribute to technical assistance through reviews, engaging in work planning and discussions with the field team, etc. to build skills with the goal of taking on a more senior role, such as director of project delivery or a functional area.
Contract and Client Relationship Management
- Monitor and maintain compliance with head/prime contracts; including agreement action requests (for example travel, personnel additions/changes, partner, grant, budget realignment, etc.);
- Liaise with C&C to communicate with contracting and agreement officers or other client representatives on any matters that make legal or financial commitments for Palladium;
- Develop, manage, and support contract amendments as required;
- Liaise with and respond to requests from clients in conjunction with the project's director including providing or giving inputs on reporting;
- Support project advocacy with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure company policies for financial management are implemented and are compliant with the client rules and regulations;
- Ensure that project levels of delegated authority issued are in accordance with Palladium's Expenditure Approval and Signature Authority Policy and Guidelines and manage the process for higher-level approvals as required;
- Collaborating with Financial Management establish project charge codes, ensuring they meet client and project requirements for cost allocation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting;
- Collaborating with Treasury, facilitate project bank accounts set-up with appropriate company and project signatories;
- Ensure the project financial calendar is adhered to including monitoring, reconciling, and reporting expense advances monthly;
- Leads monitoring budget progress against forecast as one metric to track project progress against its work plan; proactively seeks to solve shortages or overages against the frozen forecast as needed;
- Review monthly Funds Transfer Requests (FTRs) to ensure they reflect budget progress and forecasting and seek approval for them as needed;
- Review cashbooks / field vouchers and ensure supporting documentation is complete;
- Coordinate service providers and approve (or obtain approval for) work orders and invoices; ensure the accuracy of client invoices (including monthly, milestone and performance based invoices);
- Support the external audit process (on an as-needed basis) and ensure retention of project records is compliant with company and client policy;
Human Resource Management and Recruitment
- Oversee project human resource planning, recruitment, contracting, and coordinating inputs from the company's HR and Talent Acquisition teams;
- Working with associate(s), maintain project data on relevant HR systems for short-term and long-term staff and consultants;
- Lead the mobilisation and demobilisation of all international staff (short-term and long-term) including contracting (in coordination with HR) and travel management;
- Serve as primary supervisor to one or more Associate(s), Project Delivery, or Senior Associate(s), Project Delivery;
- In conjunction with the PMU, and the Senior Manager, Project Delivery, engage in employee onboarding and training, educating new staff on policies, procedures, tools, and Palladium's culture;
- Actively monitor, review, correct, and provide feedback on all supervisee's work products, providing additional training and support where necessary;
- Take a proactive role in staff development, including working with supervisees to identify professional development opportunities, and holding monthly coaching sessions to advise them on project management best practices, core competencies, and general work skills and behaviors.
Business Development / Other
- Contribute to company growth by supporting well-managed projects, ensuring Palladium is seen positively by clients for consideration in future business development;
- Participate in capture planning, providing inputs on implementation requirements
- Provide input and support business development of the company as required
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- The role reports to the Project Director. For multiple projects, the role has dual reporting requirements to the various relevant Project Directors. Reporting requirements include:
- Attendance at all regular management team meetings,
- Provision of regular updates to the line manager, including status of Key Result Areas (KRAs), and any other material matters and/or areas of concern,
- Submission of financials and forecasts, and contributions to Practice and corporate reporting;
- Other reporting as requested by the line manager.
- The role is part of the Practice Area,
- As delegated, the role liaises with clients, technical area specialists, corporate services, professional service providers, and other stakeholders as required.
- Authority levels
- The role carries a degree of autonomy on project management with appropriate consultation. The role is required to analyse and make sound recommendations to the line manager;
- The role may carry expenditure and/or signatory authority for project-related costs and documents;
- Oversee and manage Senior Project Associates and Project Associates as assigned,
- Contribute to process improvement through innovative and cost-effective ideas and suggestions.
- Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Excellent leadership, representation and organizational skills.
- Ability to build a strong team and client relationships.
- Ability to foster successful partnership approaches and relationships among a variety of organizations/institutions.
- Successful track record in delivery of complex programs.
- Strong focus on systems, impact and results.
- Strong technical track record relevant to the project.
- Strong writing and presentation skills as well as attention to detail and quality.
- Strong management skills to mentor, coach, lead, develop and evaluate employees.
- Ability to manage personnel and achieve results across a matrixed management structure.
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyze financial reports.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience working in the international development sector.
- Prior experience with USAID contracts or cooperative agreements is helpful.
- Excellent English language communication skills and fluency in international languages.