Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a Senior Manager (HR Operations) who will be based at the Institute’s headquarters in Pelawatte, Battaramulla. The position holder will play a generalist-cum-specialist role that supports HR Operations in a number of practices and objectives, which will provide an employee-oriented, high-performance culture. The position holder will work under the direct supervision of the Director - Human Resources. Under IWMI’s matrix management system, the Senior Manager (HR Operations) also has performance-based responsibilities to the Institute’s Management Team and will work closely with the Human Resources Office (HRO) as well as a variety of staff groups.
Job Description :
• Performance Management and Development System: Take ownership of the system and vendor administration side of the performance management process, and monitor progress (such as goal setting, and mid- and year-end reviews); guide supervisors and staff members to implement the system effectively; take corrective action for the timely completion of activities; support generation of analytics from the performance management system, and track upgrades and areas that need improvement; and support and work with other HR colleagues in ensuring a seamless transition of data from the system for review of promotions and salary adjustments.
• HR Scorecard Management: Create a project plan for reporting progress on the Human Resources’ Scorecard; liaise with internal oversight, and explain the methodology of collecting and analysing data for the scorecard; coordinate with internal oversight for deploying and administering the employee engagement survey; review the analysis of surveys and draw inferences; brainstorm with the staff satisfaction survey working group on inferences from survey results, and contribute to action planning to improve scores; review HR Scorecard metrics and action plans; and seek guidance from the Director - Human Resources, throughout all stages of the scorecard reporting process, in order to report on the progress of the Human Resources department in meetings its objectives under the strategic planning.
• Audits and Other Special Projects: Provide support or contribute to HR Audits, and other special projects related to HR from time to time.
• Expatriate Management: Coordinate with internal oversight in the preparation and coordination of visa letters for expatriate staff, and also provide support to any requests for data in this regard.
• Employee Wellness Initiatives: Lead the employee wellness programs, explore the feasibility of deploying employee wellness programs in regional offices and at IWMI headquarters; and support the Director - Human Resources in cost modeling and suggest improvements.
• Staff Consultative Committee (SCC): Ensure follow through of the meeting minutes and action items are agreed based on requests from SCC, and communicate any feedback to several forums such as the Management Team.
• HR Communications: Support strengthening of HR communications, and manage the unit’s web presence with support from the Director – Human Resources.
• Employee Lifecycle Events: Lead and manage HR administrators to ensure all employee lifecycle events, such as extension of contracts, probation, etc., are handled in a timely manner; and lead the administrators in the management of the Human Resources Information System (HRIS).
Minimum Qualification & Experience :
• a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with specialization in Human Resources or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
• ten years of experience with a minimum of 4 years of managerial experience in HR systems;
• the following functional competencies: performance management systems and processes; employee engagement concepts and processes; employee relations concepts and practices; HR processes and policies; organizational understanding; HRIS; HR project management; and experience in HR technologies.
• the following behavioral competencies: a strategic outlook; the ability to foster collegiality in the workplace; the ability to foster partnerships; oral and written communication skills; problem-solving skills; innovative and critical thinking skills; the ability to implement change initiatives; and be detail-oriented and analytical.
• Note: The selected candidate may be required to make occasional/frequent visits to IWMI’s regional offices in Asia and Africa, and the person should thus be geographically mobile.