Title: Senior Market Dynamics Advisor
Department: Global Marketing
Based in Washington DC
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 50 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer powered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are a dynamic team based in Washington, DC and around the world. We are adept at operating in a diffuse, resource constrained environment to apply clear-eyed and modern business and marketing approaches that generate real improvements in the lives of those we serve. We add value through building and supporting new business models, approaches and tools that take our developing country operations to the next level.
We are seeking a self-motivated individual with strong analytical and communication skills to lead our growing Market Dynamics team within the Global Marketing department. This individual will be responsible for guiding PSI’s application of the multi-disciplinary approach and for building the capacity of country and health area teams in its application.
Position Responsibilities & Overview
The ideal candidate will have a passion for global health and development, possess excellent problem solving and analytical skills, and drive high-quality work independently. He/She will manage a small team and will engage diverse stakeholders, including private sector players, governments, multilaterals, donors and beneficiaries to understand health markets and identify incentives and barriers to improve performance. The Advisor must be able to interpret and synthesize complex and technical inputs to provide a deep understanding and robust evidence base to inform strategy recommendations. The Advisor will play an important role in building PSI’s capacity in these skills across our global network and will routinely liaise with donors and partner organizations.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Provide technical leadership to cross-cutting priority projects related to market dynamics and market development.
- Cultivate, build and maintain relationships with key global health actors to support market shaping opportunities
- Develop, coach and maintain a strong network of experts in PSI and externally.
- Contribute to and help initiate new projects and activities in market dynamics, market development and market analytics.
- Manage a small team of advisors and consultants.
- Develop and implement a strategy to continue to build PSI’s capacity in market dynamics and market development. Routinely liaise with senior management, donors and partners to make this strategy a reality.
- Prepare presentations, reports, and other analyses to inform strategy and policy recommendations and increase the evidence base for high-impact interventions.
- Develop and share key findings and lessons learned across PSI and externally. Represent PSI at key conferences/global events on access and market strengthening.
- Invest in existing and identify new partnership opportunities for PSI with other organizations and institutions working in market research, market analysis, health economics and market development.
- Work in close collaboration with Program Analytics, Social Enterprise and other departments within the organization to estimate the potential market size of new products and services and assist teams in quantification and demand forecasting.
- Provide support to the continued development and rollout of Keystone – a standardized program design process that is anchored in market development principals.
What we are looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
- Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
- Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
- Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
- Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
- Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- A Master’s degree (e.g. MBA, MPA, MPH) or higher in relevant subject area with 7+ years’ experience in public health or management consulting and/or experience in pharmaceutical/healthcare industry.
- At least three years of experience living and working in low and middle-income countries.
- Experience working with Ministries of Health in low and middle-income countries.
- Experience in market dynamics, industrial and health economics, business model development.
- Proven ability and experience in market assessments and analysis, including secondary and primary research.
- Strong data management, quantitative modeling and analysis skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including ability to prepare compelling presentations and written reports and work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Experience designing, conducting/managing quantitative primary and secondary research skills, data collection and data entry
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Ability to build capacity of individuals and teams at various levels within the organization.
- Developing country experience
- Availability for international and domestic travel (estimated at 20%).
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
- Strong prior experience in the roll out of new health innovations ideally in the family planning and reproductive health space,
- Experience with key partners in market dynamics such as CHAI, PATH, Global Fund, RHSC, etc.
- Commercial experience in taking a new product to market,
- Analytical: able to use data to drive decisions and strategy;
- System-oriented: looks at problems holistically and drives solutions that attack root causes;
- Communicative: a great communicator able to to translate complex material into powerful, digestible materials;
- Strategic: envisions and executes a learning strategy that clearly focuses on achieving project goals, while also being able to adapt easily with change;
- Collaborative: able to work across a complex network of departments, country teams, partners and donors
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.