Senior Operations Officer
World Bank Group, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Job duties and responsibilities:
The successful candidate will lead the “Corporate Services” sub-team of the Secretariat Operations team. This sub-team’s mission is to oversee and improve the efficient management of many of the organization’s internal administrative and planning processes. In leading this sub-team, the incumbent will lead and strengthen existing processes, centralize some that are currently distributed, and lead the decentralized execution of others. Thus, this position requires an ability to manage a high-volume of routine requests and to lead the organization on complex and strategic tasks. The incumbent is a resource for the organization in improving the efficiency of operations. The incumbent plays a leading role in managing internal communications and assessing and addressing organizational issues. As a senior member of the Secretariat Operations Team, the incumbent is expected to work closely with others on that team and across the organization to manage complex tasks and to identify and address priorities for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of Secretariat operations and creating a culture of mutual respect and collaboration. The incumbent supervises three positions, two of which are in recruitment, and the other an experienced senior administrative staff.
Specific accountabilities of this new role include the following; some of the responsibilities are collective among the team and would be delegated by the lead as appropriate:
- Lead the new "Corporate Services" team whose primary mission is to deliver and / or oversee a suite of administrative services to enhance the effectiveness of the organization.
- Lead the annual work planning and budgeting process, working in partnership with Secretariat management and designated staff from each team. This includes strategy work upfront to refresh the organization’s annual goals and objectives, as well as a review and monitoring process throughout the year to track progress and identify areas for adjustment and improvement.
- Play a lead role in automating business processes using the Secretariat’s new service automation platform, enhance the platform with functionality such as metrics and reporting, and administer the platform to maintain standard lists and data (such as roles, teams, supervisors, countries, etc.), redirect workflow when needed, detect and report bugs, etc.
- Ensure that requests from staff and management for information and support are assigned to Corporate Services team members and resolved in a timely manner.
- Roll out new processes and services to the secretariat staff, ensuring users understand their roles and responsibilities, and employing change management techniques to accelerate adoption and reduce resistance.
- Develop approaches to manage and measure performance across the suite of processes and identify issues and propose and implement improvements.
- Develop, deploy and administer internal policies and procedures, ensuring wide understanding, acceptance, and compliance.
- Regularly inform the Secretariat about the team’s services and support by maintaining GPE’s Secretariat SharePoint-based Intranet section.
- Play a lead role in any “special projects” as assigned by GPE management.
- Collaborate with the leads of the other SecOps subteams - KM/IT and HR/OD - to develop new programs and capabilities.
- At least 8 years of experience in lead roles with front office / corporate services / administrative functions (12 years of experience is preferred). A master's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Experience with human resources processes including recruitment, performance management, onboarding and offboarding, contract management, staff recognition, etc.
- Experience with administrative functions including office space, facilities, security, IT equipment, contract management, vendor procurement, etc.
- Advanced skills across the Microsoft Office 365 suite of products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint Online.
- Supervisory experience, including building and leading a small team of direct reports.
- Significant experience developing and leading strategic and work program / budget planning processes for organizations working under a high degree of complexity and uncertainty.
- Experience with centralizing business functions to ensure consistency and reduce risk, as well as overseeing execution where processes remain decentralized but need greater controls and reporting.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Change management skills, to reduce resistance to change and accelerate adoption.
- Project and Process Management skills, to organize and lead major initiatives and bring rigor to ongoing activities.
- Coaching others and giving feedback.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong organizational skills, both personal and also helping team members to organize and prioritize.
- Experience working with senior management, especially knowing how to cut through complexity and facilitate needed outcomes such as decisions and guidance.
- Ability to positively influence and persuade.
- Commitment to teamwork, both within the subteam as well as across the Secretariat.
- Persistence and resilience in the face of challenges.
- Problem solving skills.
- Knowledge creation and knowledge sharing, ensuring we learn from our experiences.