ARC International is an entrepreneurial humanitarian and development organization that assists displaced people to move from vulnerability to resilience, from impoverishment to a basic level of well-being, and from exclusion to inclusion.
The overall objective of ARC International’s Somalia/Somaliland program is to broaden opportunities for disadvantaged communities in (particularly women and youth) to pursue a secure and sustainable livelihood; create an environment that enables social and economic re-integration of Somali youth into society through technical, vocational and leadership skills development that enables young people to secure gainful employment; sustainably rehabilitate through social transformation and economic empowerment; respond to recurring emergencies and help build resiliency of communities through strengthening of existing social services such as health and water facilities/structures and support creation of durable solutions for returnees to Somalia through a set of integrated activities aimed at socio-economic reintegration into their country and communities of origin.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Senior Program Coordinator will play a leading role in ensuring overall program quality and impact, ensure that programs are contextually appropriate, monitored closely and funded sufficiently. The Senior Program Coordinator will be responsible for developing a coherent program strategy, strong program design through effective M&E systems and represent ARC in inter-agency meetings.
Program Strategy, Design and Development 50%
- Provide leadership to the development of an integrated program strategy.
- Promote excellence in programs through ongoing programmatic and strategic support for field-based program staff, including the development of M&E systems.
- Ensure programs are designed according to ARC and industry best practices and ARC program framework.
- Work with HQ technical leads in the development of relevant programming frameworks.
- Working in collaboration with the Country Director, proactively identify opportunities for new programming initiatives and funding to support them.
- Ensure that new proposals promote high quality programming by responding to identified needs, taking account of recognized best practices, minimum standards and lessons learned from earlier programs.
Program Management and Oversight 35 %
- Working in collaboration with Program managers, ensure that program implementation is managed closely through the development of structured work plans, indicator tracking and monitoring plans.
- Support Program Managers to fulfill their budget-holder expectations. Ensure project expenditures are monitored and corrective action is initiated and tracked where required.
- Convene grant review meetings where program performance is reviewed and corrective action taken as needed, and promote program integration.
- Lead comprehensive program reviews including mid-term reviews, final evaluations, and assessments.
- Provide leadership to ensure timely and high-quality progress reports as per ARC and donor guidelines.
- Provide proper representation in cluster and other coordination forums at national and regional levels.
- Build capacity of program staff in the areas of program development.
- Set performance objectives with all supervisees, and conduct scheduled performance evaluations. Ensure that all supervisees also complete the performance management cycle with their own supervisees.
Representation and Inter-agency Coordination 15%
Represent ARC in inter-agency coordination meetings, cluster meetings and NGO Consortium meetings.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience with humanitarian and development programs in complex emergency or post-conflict settings.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (International Development, program planning and management).
- Demonstrated experience in program development (both humanitarian and development programs), grant management, monitoring and evaluation, team building, and strategy setting.
- Experience working closely with and building the capacity of national program managers.
- Strong coordination and leadership skills with proven ability to work across multiple technical areas simultaneously, supporting multiple staff members.
- Experience working with donors (OFDA, USAID, UNHCR, BPRM, DIFD, CIDA, SIDA), international and national NGOs, and government agencies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and representation experience.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strong report writing and documentation skills.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Willingness to work in multi-cultural setting.
- Willingness to travel to field sites and communities on a regular basis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to talk with high-level officials, as well as community members.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in participatory techniques and methodologies.
- Strong personal commitment to gender equality.
- Experience in supervising both expatriate and national staff and strong mentoring capacity.