Senior Program Officer-Animal Well-Being
Heifer International, Andhra Pradesh, India
Closing Date for Applications:
About the Organization:
Heifer International is a global non-profit working to end hunger and poverty and care for the Earth by using sustainable practices and engaging smallholder farmers in agricultural development. Heifer was founded on the simple belief that ending hunger begins with giving people the means to feed themselves, generate income and achieve sustainable livelihoods.
Position: Senior Program Officer-Animal Well-Being
Responsibilities & Deliverables:
Facilitate the well-being of all livestock through the adoption of improved animal management and productivity practices and standards in the program (60%)
- Promote scientific Backyard Poultry practices in rural farmers for the increase in income and nutrition of the family.
- Ensure quality and timely animal healthcare delivery (prevention and treatment).
- Ensure good husbandry practices (breeding, nutrition, housing, feeding, watering, and waste management and other ecological production methods etc.).
- Ensure regular supply of quality inputs.
- Ensure good quality output products.
- Develop training material and conduct trainings for field workers/entrepreneurs.
- Develop innovative models as per the field situation.
- Support in the livestock business and marketing activities.
- Facilitate vaccinators, CAVEs time to time for project implementation
- Organise trainings for the vaccinators, CAVEs and strengthen their knowledge and skills
Program Management (25%)
- Meet the project targets timely in terms of scale-up production, targeted families, income increase and business goals.
- Ensuring timely submission of reports.
- Ensure that the partner and FPOs meet the Heifer’s monitoring and evaluation requirements and the deadlines
- Reviewing the project progress (physical and financial) with partner staff on monthly basis
- Ensure that the activity-based reforecasting is prepared following the participatory method and the other stakeholders (PMC, co-funder, etc)
- Documentation and sharing of the best practices
Liaison, networking, and resource mobilization to strengthen the program effectiveness (10%)
- Sharing the Heifer’s model with other stakeholder and building a fruitful relationship with them
- Networking and relationship building with Government, CSR, Foundations, and other stakeholders and linking the project participants to their schemes
- Promotion cross earning and exchange of the knowledge
- Supporting the partners in mobilization of the committed co-funding/ Local Resource Leverage (LRL)
- Organizing and participating in donor visits.
- Time to time participation in state level events, workshops, and roundtables
May perform other job-related duties as assigned/ requested (5%)
- Support other projects as and when required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Veterinary Science or equivalent plus five (5) years of related experience with 2-3 years of “grass-roots” experience is required.
- Master’s Degree in Veterinary Science with specialization in Poultry Science preferred.