Senior Program Officer, Surveillance Systems & Field Epidemiology Training, Global Health Security Project (GHSP), Mekong Program
PATH, Hanoi, Vietnam
Closing Date for Applications:
Specific responsibilities include:
Surveillance Systems Strengthening (50%)
- Support PATH Project Director and GDPM leaders and serve as a focal point person for Disease Surveillance Systems Strengthening Component (focusing on event-based surveillance system) of the Project, including leading, planning, piloting, and implementation, of event-based surveillance (EBS) system in the PATH work plan.
- Develop material and train staff on event-based surveillance.
- Attend the Training of Trainers training for EBS and support the cascade trainings in 4 pilot provinces.
- Monitor and evaluate implementation of EBS systems with support from the PATH's HQ Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team.
- Perform surveillance reviews of different components of the health system, with the goal of making “real time” improvements to the overall events-based reporting system and the EOC.
- Provide consultation and reports to the Division of Communicable Disease Control of GDPM about public health events and its response measures.
Field Epidemiology Training Program Support (50%)
- Support GDPM leaders and serve as a focal point person for FETP component of the Project, including leading the planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of FETP related project activities.
- Evaluate, monitor, and mentor study fellows and trainees in the design and implementation of research projects, outbreak investigations for public health interventions including support of data analysis and preparation of manuscripts.
- Provide support for scientific advisory board to review/approve submitted protocols and evaluate quality of products.
- Identify issues/challenges and develop strategies for effective implementation of related work plan activities.
- Attend regular/ad hoc meetings with GDPM, PATH and CDC.
- Contribute to and lead preparation of reports and deliverables.
- Advanced skills in data analysis, interpretation of epidemiological data, as well as excellent presentation skills and a track record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team.
- Excellent written and spoken Vietnamese and English.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Vietnam up to 40 percent per year.
- Advanced degree in medicine, epidemiology/public health, or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience working in preventive medicine, epidemiology, outbreak control and prevention, or related field.
- Strong knowledge of preventive medicine system and disease surveillance system.
- Good knowledge on research methodology, data analysis and bio statistics.
- Good knowledge of Epi-Info, and at least one of the following : SPSS, SAS, STATA, GIS.
- Experience with mentoring/supervising fellows and students on projects, field work, and writing skills.
- Experience working effectively with government counterparts at both national and regional level.
- Experience in teaching and training in applied epidemiology and surveillance a plus. Work experience in FETP would be an asset.