The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Sudan has the potential to reach millions of food insecure people across Sudan – with a total of 4 million people assisted in 2018. WFP Sudan, one of the largest and complex operations for WFP globally, is currently rolling out its five-year Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023), which aims to provide emergency assistance through a hybrid approach (Cash, food and vouchers), along with life-changing types of programmes (Nutrition, Resilience and School Feeding).
To provide effective coordination and specialized support to a full range of policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive):
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Area Office and the direct supervision of Program Officer, the Senior Programme Associate will be responsible for the following:
- Provide specialized expertise and contribute towards the development of project activities, plans and processes within the specific technical area of work ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Provide efficient coordination and specialized project management support to a range of specific and/or defined programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a variety of elaborated reports and substantial data analysis (e.g. food assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and make recommendations to supervisors, ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Lead and ensure accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes, food security and vulnerability assessments) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Coordinate and liaise with internal counterparts on a range of complex matters to enable effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Foster relationships and support partnership-building with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate food security analyses and to ensure efficient delivery of food assistance.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within a specific technical area.
- Act as an escalation point for complex query resolution on all matters within the area of responsibility.
- Manage a team of support staff, providing advice, guidance and training, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Completion of secondary school education and a post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
- Experience: Six years of work experience that is relevant to the role and the key accountabilities.
- Language: Fluency in both English and Arabic.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
- Has participated in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
- Has implemented programmes with increased level of responsibility.
- Has provided input to policy discussions.