The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of University Degree. Post graduate studies in the related functional area is desirable.
Experience: Six or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the humanitarian development field.
Fluency: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
WFP’s Global Strategic Plan 2017–2021 aligns WFP with the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda and Goals (SDGs). It focuses on ending hunger and contributing to a revitalized global partnership to implement the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Further extensive consultation with the Government and other development partners in Egypt during the second half of 2017 to allow informing and formulating the WFP Egypt Country Strategic Plan for the next 5 years until mid-2023 in line with Egypt’s development priorities, the WFP Egypt Country Office has started implementing the Country Strategic Plan (CSP). The focus of the CSP remains on support to school meals and nutrition support for Pregnant and Lactating Women as integrated part of the national social protection scheme, food assistance for assets and resilience-promotion for smallholder farmers and support to vulnerable Syrian refugees and migrants. To sustain those planned interventions, WFP will be conducting joint monitoring activities with Government representatives of key line Ministries to enforce the concepts of participation, transparency and accountability to its partners. In addition, capacity development activities will be provided to national counterparts and cooperating partners to ensure efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability and raising their capacity to conduct monitoring at the local level.
To provide effective coordination and specialized support to a full range of policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Conduct studies and gather information on aspects of resilience building and sustainable development for design of projects and drafting of proposals.
- Provide project management support to ensure compliance with work plans, donor requirements, programme policies and guidelines, and WFP and national standards.
- Ensure effective financial management and cash flow; monitoring and following up on the various activities of ongoing projects portfolio.
- Lead and ensure accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes, food security and vulnerability assessments) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders
- Compile and maintain accurate data in internal information and reporting systems as well as, support analysis and development of reports to the donors and counterparts.
- Maintain and update project working files (both paper and electronic) for dissemination to different target audience.
- Coordinate and exchange information with internal counterparts to support implementation and monitoring of ongoing activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable timely corporate reporting, informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Support in producing technical briefs and contributing to documents as requested (annual performance plan, business management budget, activities review reports, concept notes and project documents, etc.).
- Oversee a team of support or field staff, providing advice, guidance and training, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Support the capacity building of partners and national government to prepare for and implement resilience building programmes and projects as needed.
- Follow-up on work of consultants recruited to support the activities. This includes completion of necessary paperwork with concerned units within WFP for their contracts, separation and payments as well as follow-up on their outputs to ensure timely and quality deliverables.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
- Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance: Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
- Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers): Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
- Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas: Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Emergency Programming: Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
- Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government: Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Knowledge & Skills:
- Has facilitated communication with other technical teams and functional units such as finance, M&E or programme teams, etc.
- Has contributed to implementation of programmes.
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
- Knowledge of standard office software packages, e.g. Microsoft word, excel