WFP Tajikistan Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2019-2024 supports national social protection and safety nets, nutrition, resilience-building and disaster risk reduction, aligns WFP’s support to national priorities and creates synergy with the action of other partners. By means of the CSP, WFP is undertaking a strategic shift from direct implementation to enabling and strengthening capacities of national and sub-national institutions to deliver on their food security and nutrition priorities. WFP activities support the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 2 (Zero Hunger) and 17 (Partnerships for the Goals).
WFP’s nutrition interventions are under Strategic Outcome 2 of the CSP and include activities for the treatment and prevention of moderate acute malnutrition in five districts of Khatlon and Sughd region. Under both Strategic Outcomes 2 and 4 (the latter of which is linked to innovative school feeding programming nation-wide), WFP implements social behaviour change communication (SBCC), which is based on formative research and a subsequently developed strategy designed to improve upon the nutritional habits and behaviour of the population. Through Strategic Outcome 2, SBCC is a part of the malnutrition prevention interventions implemented in primary healthcare centres while under Strategic Outcome 4, it brings together nutrition, health, and school feeding. Initiatives to ensure basic health and nutrition messaging is also included in other WFP activities.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
To implement the above described initiatives would require enhanced capacity at the country office level and strong coordination with internal and external stakeholders. The Senior Programme Associate (SBCC) will lead the design, initiation and management of SBCC activities as relates to schools; oversee the continuation of and possible scale-up of SBCC activities linked to primary healthcare centres; and ensure nutrition-sensitive approaches are considered in all other WFP programming, as relevant.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Nutrition Officer, the incumbent is expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide specialized expertise and contribute towards the development of SBCC activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Manage the implementation of the SBCC strategy within different WFP Tajikistan activities in an effective and timely manner, ensuring optimal budget utilisation in implementation, and ensure various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures through close monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Manage the development of local SBCC campaign materials and plans through close with international consultants and government specialists, including working with designers, carefully proofing and pre-testing all materials, and supporting in the procurement of any SBCC materials or products.
- In coordination with the information technology focal points, negotiate airtime (online, broadcast and print) for media-based SBCC messaging to reach the highest number of people in the target audience at the lowest possible cost and monitor activities to ensure that the adverts run accurately.
- In coordination with monitoring focal points, ensure timely data collection, including pre- and post- implementation surveys, in-depth interviews with frontline staff and key stakeholders, and case studies.
- Prepare a variety of reports and data analysis (e.g., resource utilization, programme status, performance) to provide evidence that deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control, to support in programmatic decision making and to provide information for public awareness and advocacy.
- In coordination with communication focal points, prepare press kits for sharing with external stakeholders, including donors, government agencies and other UN agencies.
- Foster relationships and support partnership-building with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform SBCC related analyses and to ensure efficient implementation of the activities.
- Support the capacity building WFP staff, cooperating partners, and national government by providing advice, guidance and training to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards.
- Support in the development of concept notes and proposals to broaden the funding portfolio of nutrition activities for WFP Tajikistan.
- Support the implementation of the WFP Tajikistan CSP through ensuring nutrition-sensitivity and other cross-cutting efforts such as gender and diversity inclusion, protection and accountability, and capacity development, are integrated throughout the portfolio and to ensure equal participation and consideration of women and men, boys and girls, and people living with specific needs and/or disabilities.
- All other duties, including supporting nutrition-specific activities, as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Desired experiences for entry into the role:
- Four years of relevant work experience with UN agencies, government entities, or civil society showing progressive level of responsibility (three years with advanced degree);
- Demonstrated experience of project coordination and management in nutrition and/or health sectors;
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders, including government counterparts;
- Proficiency in Windows MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and graphic design and data visualization software (Photoshop, In-Design, Tableau, etc.);
- Behavioural competencies such as excellent planning and organization, strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate complex ideas, ability to work under pressure with competing deadlines; experience handling press/media events; political awareness; diplomacy and collaborate approach.
- First university degree in Communications, Social Science, Nutrition, Public Health, or another relevant field.
- Required fluency (level C) in oral and written English and Tajik or Russian.