Senior Programme Management Officer
United Nations Environment Programme, Pretoria, South Africa
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The post is located in the UNEP in Pretoria, South Africa. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Director, UNEP Africa Office and will be responsible for the following:
Implementation of the Programme of Work South Africa:
- Ascertain and maintain contact with the Government of South Africa on UNEP related matters; Identify national priorities and trends to support UNEP programmatic working the country;
- Coordinate and facilitate cooperation with the United Nations entities In South Africa particularly with UNDP with regard to developing and implementing joint programmes; Represent
- UNEP in the UN Country Team during d2sign and implementation of the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and the Common Country Programme Action Plan (CCPAP) and during the preparation of the Common Country Assessments (CCA); Provide adequate support to the Regional Director in Regional Directors Team related activities.
Liaison with Secretariats, Regional and Sub-regional Bodies:
- Liaise with regional and subregional organizations such as the NEPAD Secretariat, Pan-African Parliament and SADC Secretariat and other organizations in support of implementing environmental initiatives and programmes in the sub region Including at country level.
Facilitate South South Cooperation:
- Engage and explore opportunities with the Government of South Africa for a country programme including those for South South cooperation among African countries with emphasis on facilitation of capacity building and technology transfer; liaise with UNEP Divisions for coordinated intervention and delivery of UNEP's technical and scientific assistance to South Africa and other SADC countries.
- Provide donor relations support and promote strategic partnership; undertake donors mapping and prepare donor profiles, define and implement strategic partnership framework; develop positive contacts and working relations with donors and all relevant partners; explore resource mobilization opportunities at the country and sub regional levels from all appropriate sources
- Government, bilateral, multilateral and private sector; identify issues of strategic interest in which UNEP has a comparative advantage; analyze donor trends (donor policies, sectoral and geographic preferences, etc.); research and develop project concepts to approach potential source of funding.
Communication and Liaison:
- Keep the Regional Office of Africa updated on relevant environment and development matters in South Africa in particular and the SADC sub-region as a whole; facilitate a rapid, informed and timely response by UNEP to emerging issues in South Africa and other SADC countries; provide specific communication and outreach support; participate in and backstop related processes which will contribute to ensuring the visibility of UNEP in South Africa and other SADC countries.
Perform other relevant duties.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent), in environmental policy or science, natural resources management, development planning or related field is required. A first level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience maybe accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of (10) ten years of experience in environmental or natural resources management is required.
- Five (5) years, of the ten (10) years, of experience at the international level is required.
- Experience in environmental/natural resources management, in a UN context in a developing region of the world is desirable.
- Experience of working in the context of delivering as one UN and of collaboration with UN Country Teams is desirable.
- Experience in implementing country-level or organizational environmental policies, guidelines and standards is desirable.
- Experience in resource mobilization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.