Senior Programme Manager - Health
Voluntary Service Overseas, Malawi
Closing Date for Applications:
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
To manage the strategic development, implementation and successful delivery of the Health and HIV and AIDS Programme, supporting all of VSO’s work in Malawi in order to contribute to the strategic plan and optimize the contribution towards reducing poverty. To provide support towards the implementation of the ICS Programme in Malawi.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Excellent understanding of project cycle management tools to ensure effective planning, resourcing, implementation and review of Health and HIV and AIDS programmes and experience of organisational assessment, planning and review tools and processes.
- Practical experience of applying development issues at a project or community level. Able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of development issues. Experience and knowledge of Health, HIV and AIDS programms.
- Proven experience of securing external funding and grants, including proposal and report writing. Evidence of understanding the challenges of donor and contract management and the implications for programme management.
- Leadership and people management skills, experience of developing, coaching and managing high performing teams
- Able to develop multiple ideas to solve an issue or situation and take a swift decision, including in a high risk situation.
- Experience of the financial management of budgets, including building a budget, monitoring and managing expenditure. Previous experience of having compiled financial reports
- Evidence of ability to provide effective support to volunteers.
- Able to adapt to new and demanding situations, with experience of living and working in developing countries.
- Competent Data usage: including speedy collation and analysis of complex and high volume data, using appropriate IT packages where necessary.
- Masters degree in any relevant field
- Able to travel and work long hours, including work away from the home base for up to 30% of time, both within the country and occasionally internationally and some weekend and evening work.