The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Senior Programme Officer reports to the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Haiti, in collaboration with the Deputy FAOR and relevant units of the Regional Office for Latin America and Caribbean (RLC), the Subregional Office for Central America (SLM) and headquarters.
Leading the overall programme implementation including providing guidance and oversight of the administration and operations units, and day-to-day coordination and monitoring of programme development, resource mobilization and reporting.
Leadership and technical expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Programmes of work, projects, related-products, and services in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
- Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
- Coordinates programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
- Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
- Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
- Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
- Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders.
- Provides advice to develop policies and strategies as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work;
- Initiates contact with potential partners to explore funding opportunities, leads negotiations of funding agreements and project proposals with governments, international organizations, private sector and civil society partners;
- Maintains effective working relationships with key stakeholders throughout the project cycle, including to support implementation, facilitates monitoring and compliance issues and ensures submission of reports, as required;
- Provides leadership to FAO's work on emergencies as part of the resilience work in the country including: needs assessment, programming, implementation and resource mobilization, in liaison and collaboration with the Food Security Cluster, other UN agencies, civil society partners and relevant FAO personnel;
- Promotes the implementation, monitoring and quality assurance of all cash transfer components (unconditional cash, cash for work and coupons).
- Advanced university degree in in political sciences, business administration, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or a related field;
- Ten years of relevant experience in technical cooperation related activities, and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).