Senior Programme Specialist
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Italy
Closing Date for Applications:
The Global Fall Armyworm Programme (FAW), hosted by the Plant Production and Protection Division at FAO, provides technical and organizational support to member countries on the sustainable management of the Fall Armyworm.
- Reporting Lines: The Consultant/PSA will work under the supervision of the Chief Technical Adviser (Sustainable Management of the Fall Armyworm).
- Technical Focus: The Consultant/PSA will support the technical coordination and implementation of the FAW programme.
Tasks and responsibilities: In general, designated tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects for FAW management;
- Liaising with R4D Consortium and other stakeholders concerning the most innovative and sustainable approaches to FAW management;
- Assisting in drafting and reviewing relevant documents and reports; identifying priorities, liaising with relevant parties and identifying follow-up actions;
- Contributing to consultations and other meetings and conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
- Undertaking field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and supporting FAW- FFS cv development;
- Facilitating discussions to promote adoption of FAMEWS among different stakeholders;
- Providing technical and policy guidance to national programmes, partner organizations, and regional and international organizations.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING:
- Qualification requirements for Consultants/PSAs: Advanced university degree for Consultants and university degree for PSAs in entomology, pest management, crop protection, or related field
- Relevant experience: at least ten years of relevant experience in in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, pest management, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for Consultants)
- For PSAs, working knowledge of only one UN language is required.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of field experience
- Knowledge of French and local languages is considered an asset
- Extent and relevance of experience in providing technical support and trainings
- Formal training and/or experience in Android OS, smartphones and mobile apps is considered an asset
- Demonstrated didactical ability and social skills.
- Proven ability to behave and interact sensitively in various cultural contexts.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations, regional entities and national governments.