Senior Project Finance and Accounting Officer
Relief International, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Provide accounting and finance support for Regional Finance team supporting global operations and program activities.
- Coordinate monthly close with Regional finance team and ensure project activities are timely recorded in the appropriate period and adequately supported in the accounting systems
- Collaborate Project Setup activities between Financial System and Grants team; assist with project budget template formation and upload in NetSuite.
- Serve as liaison between Regional Finance and corporate finance team on resolving project actual expenses reported on budget vs actual reports; follow up on both corrective and preventive actions to remediate future occurrence.
- Review country office balance sheets accounts schedules and reconciliation for accuracy and audit readiness; provide timely feedback and support to regional finance team on both corrective and preventative actions and follow-up; manage intercompany accounts activities between corporate office and country locations.
- Prepare and file U.S. government grants quarterly federal financial reports, including project expenditures line item budget vs actual, and submit to respective agency donor websites.
- Prepare U.S. government grants cash advance request and PMS drawdown on a monthly basis or as necessary.
- Work with the field and headquarters project staff to ensure organization and donor policies and procedures are adhered to and standard accounting practices are utilized.
- Coordinate quarterly review of country office balance sheets accounts and schedules with corporate office accounting manager and regional finance team.
- Manage accounts receivables and donor payments accounts; prepare monthly receivables account reconciliation, and follow up on aged receivable accounts with cash management and regional finance teams.
- Collaborate with Regional Finance and Grants and Contracts team to ensure compliance with Donor requirements as well as ensuring accounting best practices.
- Support country office finance team as needed for donor and statutory audits, and other donor request.
- Assist in reviewing donor report Review field financial reports for timely submission, proper recording of transactions and accurate utilization of the chart of accounts, including f in-kind donations
- Assistance to Program Development and Regional teams with Donor Proposals
- Facilitate financial close-out of projects at GSO
- Development of project or country specific reports to assist with program and country management
- Development of report templates to facilitate donor reporting
- Review of BVA and other monthly reports as well as coordinate any necessary responses or actions to be taken at GSO
- Participate in monthly Grants Management calls as a representative of the Finance Department
- Coordinate with Regional and headquarters finance teams in developing management responses to audit reports, propose action plans to remediate audit findings, and follow up to support implementation and ensure compliance for Global Controller/CFO review.
- Assist in the development of local policies and procedures to meet global requirements.
- Travel to field offices as required
- Assist with the preparation of project budgets and modifications; and review of project final reports as needed
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong computer skills; NetSuite application or other ERP systems, a plus.
- BA in Finance/Accounting; Masters in Accounting or equivalent preferred
- 5 years or more experience working in an international NGO environment
- Work independently with initiative to manage conflicting priorities, high volume and sensitive work flow.
- Analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify and resolve essential elements of complex project management issues; and demonstrated abilities to use judgment and decision-making skills to execute responsibilities.
- Ability to act in an advisory capacity with program staff on financial matters related to grants and cooperative agreements.
- Ability to analyze budgets, define problems, and draw valid conclusions.
- Capability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
- Develop and implement effective strategies and tactics for accomplishing assigned duties.
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to effectively present information, strengthen capacity, respond to questions, and write reports, policies and procedures, and other critical documents.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation