The International Rescue Committee responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IT department supports the organization's work by providing reliable and scalable applications and infrastructure for the IRC's offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations.
The IT department provides end-to-end solutions for the organization including application development & integration, system deployment, user experience and change management, quality assurance & testing, and overall Project Management in an effort to help the organization determine and implement the best solutions for its business needs.
The Sr. Project Manager for Human Resource Systems will provide overall project management support for projects related to HR information technology and applications. This includes PM support for initiatives around the current deployment of our Human Resources Information System - Workday, our Applicant Tracking system - Cornerstone, and other HR systems and business process improvement projects (e.g., compensation, benefits, learning, performance, time and attendance, etc.). They will work with the Director of IT and Operations Project and Portfolio Management, and with the Director of HR Systems as well as other technology and business owners to successfully execute these projects.
The person in this position will develop and manage existing project documentation, including project schedules, weekly and monthly status reports, presentations, risk logs, action logs, issue logs, etc. The Sr. Project Manager works proactively to gather information required for analysis of project cost, resources, time and other project supporting deliverables.
- Business Case Development: Works with business partners to identify, develop, articulate and validate the business cases necessary to pursue, launch and fund projects
- Creates and Maintains Project Plans: Develops, and continually updates, detailed project/program management plans. Develops work breakdown structures based on the project objectives and scope. Ensures PM methodology is adhered to.
- Manages the HRIS Project Portfolio Process: Work with appropriate HR and IT stakeholders to define, prioritize and manage the pipeline of potential future HRIS projects. Work with stakeholders on reporting the current status of all projects based on established project management criteria. Facilitate the process to accelerate, decelerate, add to or remove projects from the portfolio.
- Manage Project Status Reporting: Prepares status reports to convey project scope, goals, milestones, budget, risk, status, change requests, and critical issues to the client and project team.
- Develop and Maintain Project Schedules: Incorporates regular updates from each functional team.
- Lead Project Cost Estimation and Ongoing Budget Tracking: Provides budget information to Project Managers. Assists in developing costs estimates and analyzing data.
- Perform Project Resource Management: Provides work direction and leadership to assigned projects, including scheduling, assignment of work and review of project efforts. Identifies project resource requirements and staff assignments. Checks for staff availabilities. Updates the project plan with work assignments.
- Conducts Risk Management: Maintains documentation for identified risks and mitigation strategies. Proactively gathers and updates risk status and documentation as needed.
- Support Stakeholder Management: Works with technology and business owners to analyze stakeholder expectations for projects based upon approved project requirements.
- Integrate Project Business Analysis: Works with project team members and stakeholders to integrate technical and functional changes to projects into work assignment and schedules
- Provide Overall Project Administration: Participates in program team meetings, proactively documents meeting minutes, track issues, decisions and action items, and follow-up between meetings to drive issues to closure.
- Go/No Go Project Facilitation: Leads stakeholders through the exercises necessary to help stakeholders make the proper go/no go decisions.
- Manage Field Location Functionality Needs and Demand: Fully understands and is able to articulate the HRIS demands and functionality necessary in our field locations.
- Other Support Duties as Needed: Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned
Key Working Relationships:
- Works closely with HR Leaders to understand business needs and goals
- Works with Director of Human Resource Systems to maintain a productive working relationships with business owners, project sponsors, system users, and vendors.
- Interacts with other IT and operations project managers, senior technical personnel, and other functional or support organizations.
Position Reports to: Director of Project and Portfolio Management Position directly supervises: Project coordinators or vendor staff as needed
Indirect Reporting: Human Resource Systems Lead
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Project Managers and Project Coordinators in the Project Management team
- Headquarters & Global Field Teams - multiple departments
- Project Business Owners, business project team members outside IT, and wider stakeholders
- Project Sponsor and Steering Committee members
External: Vendors and Consultants
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 6 - 8 years of experience coordinating project efforts including, but not limited to, Human Resources system implementations and HR business improvement projects.
- Previously experience with Workday HRIS in a project management capacity
- Experience with HR Processes and functions.
- Expertise utilizing and championing Project Management software and tools
- Knowledge of best practice Project Management methodologies
- Experience with cross-functional project coordination
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (i.e. day-to-day discussions, team meetings, presentations, written status updates, project documentation, etc.), as well as, an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications
- Solutions-focused, able to sort through information and develop concise and clear solutions quickly
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time
- Strong analytic problem solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite, strong proficiency in project tracking software (i.e., Clarizen, MS Project, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to manage and work through change
- Proficient in French a plus
Preferred Additional Requirements
- Knowledge of the Cornerstone suite of HCM products
- Experience with integration between core HR with other systems/solutions
- Experience with Payroll systems management
- Experience with HR Systems technical implementation
- Experience with Learning Management Systems
- CAPM or PMP certified; or actively working toward certification