Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) within the South Asia Department. SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB's sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. NRM is supporting the Government of Nepal's development objective of accelerated, sustainable, inclusive economic growth.
Actively contributes to the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) by leading financial sector related in BRM, including handling loan/technical assistance (TA) processing and administration, portfolio management, sector work, and other general sector activities, covering public and private sector operations, with focus on financial sector and Public-Private Partnership (PPP) activities. Takes the lead role in the processing and administration of assigned loans and TAs. The position will report to the Country Director and/or designated International Staff and may supervise Administrative Staff.
- Provides support to fact-finding, appraisal missions, tripartite portfolio reviews, country portfolio review missions including but not limited to review of project/program designs and cost estimates, liaison with government officials, data and project/program costing, implementation arrangements and related technical issues.
- Where assigned to assume the lead role in the processing and administration of specific loans and TAs, actively takes initiative and responsibility to engage with RM, HQ, government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate the successful administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and TA projects.
- Provides team leadership (where assigned as lead) by facilitating work planning, delivery and reviews with the team.
- Monitors the progress of assigned projects and prepares project performance reports.
- Prepares and updates forecasts of contract awards & disbursements, identifying factors responsible for shortfalls and expediting achievement of target levels where possible.
- Identifies issues and takes actions to address them through interactions with executing agencies (EAs), contractors, consultants, and project beneficiaries; prepares measures to address the issues and implementing the measures.
- Prepares internal procurement papers, review of procurement documents including draft designs and cost estimates, and papers for extension of loan closing dates, reallocation of loan proceeds, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, and other project administration tasks.
- Provides advice to government ministries, EAs and sector entities on ADB guidelines on procurement, recruitment of consultants, preparation of tender documents, etc. to ensure effective implementation.
- Prepares Project Completion Reports and TA completion Reports as assigned, and other reports, as required, on the tasks undertaken.
- Leads Project Review or Country Portfolio Review missions as required
- Provides support for or conducts policy dialogues with government on policy matters and institutional issues.
- Maintains close cooperation with other international donors and undertakes meetings and consultations with them, especially in areas relating to donor coordination and harmonization in sector work. Participates actively in related local consultative subgroup meetings.
- Contributes to tripartite portfolio reviews, country portfolio review missions, and monitors overall performance of the portfolio of ADB projects in the sector.
- Contributes to sector work in the field and prepares sector assessments within the context of development aid effectiveness and national sector strategy to be utilized for programming purposes.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge base of future government plans and approval processes, organizational structure and policies relevant to the assigned sectors, including for sector database for portfolio management.
- Acts as the focal point for financial sector and PPP and maintains close relationships with the relevant government agencies and HQ staff.
- Helps to organize, contributes to, supports, and participates in meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops, including workshops for EAs as appropriate.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in economics, finance, accounting, business administration or other relevant field; preferably with Master's Degree or equivalent.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in financial sector and private sector development and at least 4 years of supervisory experience. Work experience with in a similar international organization an advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff 3-4.