Senior Research Fellow, Social Protection Equity and Social Policy Programme
Overseas Development Institute, United Kingdom
Closing Date for Applications:
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Research Fellow in Social Protection who will be responsible for the development and delivery of a portfolio of research and policy advice on social protection within the ESP’s broader mandate on poverty, inequality and social policy. The portfolio will reflect the ESP’s strategic priorities, in line with ODI’s overall strategy, as well as the candidate’s skills and experience.
We are particularly interested in receiving applications from candidates with demonstrable experience and expertise in the following areas:
- social protection and crises (risk and resilience)
- social protection, work and employment
- social protection, migration and/or urbanisation
- impact evaluation of social policies
- social policy and social protection financing
- social protection systems building, links to health and education policy
- social protection, poverty, inequality and the SDGs.
- Senior Research Fellows are expected to have a substantive record of programme and project management involving policy research and advisory work. You will have a strong publication record and be viewed as an authority in your field.
You will have:
- A degree and post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline such as Economics, Public Policy, Social Policy, Development Studies or related social science;
- Extensive knowledge of key issues and actors in international development, with a focus on poverty, inequality, social policy and social protection.
- Experience in policy-oriented research, demonstrated by a track record of publications and reports;
- Strong analytical skills, capacity to write clearly, and excellent organisational and oral communication skills;
- Extensive knowledge of key issues in social protection (including on specific instruments e.g. in-kind and cash transfers, active labour market programmes, subsidies and their financing, targeting, delivery and monitoring) and related links to jobs, and health and education services;
- Strong expertise in scientific research methods, with specialization in either statistics and econometrics and/or in-depth qualitative research methods and/or mixed methods approaches;
- Strong ability to interpret and synthesise research findings from a range of different research approaches, including statistical and econometric analyses, qualitative and mixed-methods studies.
- Strong track record in project management skills;
- Strong track record in developing research proposals and successfully fund-raising for and delivering research projects to a high quality and on time;
- A demonstrated capacity for policy advisory work, based on an analytical approach, and a clear communications ability;
- Demonstrated ability to translate research ideas into fundable projects;
- Skills in negotiation, listening, communication of ideas, problem solving, decision making;
- Ability to work as part of and lead a team;
- Time management skills, including managing a complex and varied workload;
- International experience, including in low- and middle-income countries;
- Fluency in English, and preferably a good command of at least one other language.