Senior SBC Technical Advisor
FHI 360, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
FHI 360 is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Technical Advisor II – SBC for an upcoming proposal which will provide technical and scientific leadership to those designing and implementing social and behavior change (SBC) strategies, programs or tools. Provides technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence-based SBC methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design. Builds SBC capacity in country-level, regional or global program staff. Assesses current SBC technical, scientific, managerial and operational efficiencies at the program, regional, or global levels as appropriate. Provides guidance to ensure that SBC program implementation adheres to appropriate technical standards and guidelines and that programs are technically sound. May evaluate SBC proposal design and protocol development to ensure design is sound and based upon evidence- based practice. Provides global scientific leadership by staying current of evolving SBC technical standards, guidelines, and program developments in area of expertise. Responsible for sharing best practices in SBC and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks. Shares new knowledge/evidence and best practices through collaboration with relevant departments and personnel. **This position is contigent upon award and will be based in Washington, DC.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership to division-managed technical assistance projects, including leadership in design, development, planning, and implementation and reporting.
- Lead the design of SBC research activities, including advising on research questions and design, supervising the design of data collection instruments, data collection, and analysis, and contributing to report writing and results interpretation.
- Provide technical leadership and support to country-level SBC activities, including development and execution of SBC design and capacity building activities.
- Provide oversight and guidance to ensure division-managed technical assistance project implementation and workplans are conducted as planned, targets and technical requirements are met and deliverables completed in accordance with donor agreements and program objectives.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs. Manage communication and reporting with donors of assigned division-managed projects.
- Facilitate and ensure technical quality assurance activities are regularly planned and implemented and ensure issues and actions identified are shared and addressed in time.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities and following the standards and practices of the department and division.
- Participate and lead SBC new business development activities.
- Maintain a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Lead the development of global tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensure appropriate and timely technical support to field programs.
- Ensure the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
- Conduct routine coordination with employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Master's Degree required (although PhD preferred) or its international equivalent in Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences, International Development, Human Development, or related field.
- Minimum 8-11 years of relevant experience in management of and technical direction to SBC projects and/or programs.
- Has experience contributing significantly to SBC research activities.
- Has ability to provide technical direction to projects, ensure high quality SBC outputs and impact, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of SBC activities.
- Thought leadership in SBC and demonstrated experience in advancing the field.
- Strong new business development experience in SBC.
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills.
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English; French preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to assess needs within agreed upon duties and considers course of action best to meet those needs.
- Effectively applies knowledge of SBC to solve range of problems.
- Must be able to travel approximately 15%.