Senior Scientist (Gender)
WorldFish, Penang, Malaysia
Closing Date for Applications:
- Provide scientific leadership and engage in high quality, applied gender and social-equity oriented research in AAS and other research programs;
- In particular, provide gender leadership in the Livestock and Fish Program, including thought leadership and undertaking high quality research, analysis and scientific writing, as well as fund raising;
- Contribute as member of a cross-regional team of scientists working within this topic to design and implement high quality research at global, regional and country levels, and implement these with a focus on outcomes;
- Synthesize and communicate the lessons of these experiences internationally through participation in influential research and policy networks.
Essential skills and qualifications:
- PhD or equivalent degree in relevant social science discipline, law, policy analysis, or other relevant discipline
- 8 years or more relevant experience in applied research, including participatory approaches
- Both qualitative and quantitative research design and analysis skills
- Excellent English language writing and speaking skills
- In-depth knowledge in the research field, and demonstrated ability to apply that knowledge to the design of outcome-oriented initiatives
- Ability to manage multi-partner, cross-regional, and multi-disciplinary teams
- Exceptional creative and analytical skills as applied to research, partner relations, strategy development, project design, and other challenges
- Strong record of scientific analysis and publications, with an established reputation in relevant research networks
Desired skills and abilities:
- Practical experience in fisheries, aquaculture, natural resource management or agricultural development in regions where we work
- Familiarity with gender in value chains
- Knowledge of and ability to navigate within a range of social-cultural and political contexts, and a range of organizational settings from civil society, private sector, government, and development agencies
- This position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. The initial employment contract will be for a three-year term, with possibility of renewal. It is a senior level position that is open to national (NRS) and International (IRS) candidates. Subject to applicant status, salary and benefits will be in compliance with WorldFish NRS or IRS remuneration policies. Candidates with fewer years of experience are encouraged to apply for consideration at the Scientist grade level.
- WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are encouraged to apply.