Senior Scientist - Gender Research
ICRISAT, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
The Job and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of the overarching gender strategy of for Dryland Cereals across participating centers of the program, in all program target regions/countries.
- Lead the design and development of methodological tools and frameworks for gender research.
- Lead the identification and integration of gender-relevant research issues in the flagship projects of Dryland Cereals.
- Lead the monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of the overarching gender strategy of Dryland Cereals, as well as gender-relevant research in the flagship projects of the program
- Use state-of-the-art qualitative or quantitative analyses to monitor and analyze gender mainstreaming processes during program implementation
- Coordinate and facilitate training and effective capacity building of the participating centers and partners of Dryland Cereals to mainstream gender
- Facilitate the exchange of knowledge and documentation of good practice approaches for gender equality, empowerment, social inclusion, and pro-poor targeting
- Provide comprehensive and timely reports to the CRP Office as and when required
- Produce research reports, publications and other communications
- PhD in Sociology, Social Anthropology, Gender in Development, Rural Development Studies, or related fields
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in gender in rural development/or agriculture/natural resource management in developing countries, particularly in Africa.
- Sound knowledge of data management methods and analytical tools
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline and self -motivation.
- Experience working in multi-cultural and interdisciplinary teams.
- Strong capabilities in qualitative and/or quantitative analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong academic publications record
- Ability to travel extensively
- Demonstrated quality of judgment and the ability to think strategically, assessing and responding to new challenges in rural and agricultural development
- Strong coordination and facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to lead and work in teams
- Ability to work effectively with research and development partners across the target countries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are essential. As the position is located in Bamako, Mali, a sound knowledge of French is highly desirable.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages and electronic communication
- This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars.
- The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent. An attractive compensation will be offered for the right candidate.
How to apply:
- Applicants should apply on or before 15 May, 2015, with a letter of interest, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted