Senior Scientist - Gender Research
ICRISAT, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
The Job and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of the overarching gender strategy of for Dryland Cereals across participating centers of the program, in all program target regions/countries.
- Lead the design and development of methodological tools and frameworks for gender research.
- Lead the identification and integration of gender-relevant research issues in the flagship projects of Dryland Cereals.
- Lead the monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of the overarching gender strategy of Dryland Cereals, as well as gender-relevant research in the flagship projects of the program
- Use state-of-the-art qualitative or quantitative analyses to monitor and analyze gender mainstreaming processes during program implementation
- Coordinate and facilitate training and effective capacity building of the participating centers and partners of Dryland Cereals to mainstream gender
- Facilitate the exchange of knowledge and documentation of good practice approaches for gender equality, empowerment, social inclusion, and pro-poor targeting
- Provide comprehensive and timely reports to the CRP Office as and when required
- Produce research reports, publications and other communications
- PhD in Sociology, Social Anthropology, Gender in Development, Rural Development Studies, or related fields
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in gender in rural development/or agriculture/natural resource management in developing countries, particularly in Africa.
- Sound knowledge of data management methods and analytical tools
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline and self -motivation.
- Experience working in multi-cultural and interdisciplinary teams.
- Strong capabilities in qualitative and/or quantitative analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong academic publications record
- Ability to travel extensively
- Demonstrated quality of judgment and the ability to think strategically, assessing and responding to new challenges in rural and agricultural development
- Strong coordination and facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to lead and work in teams
- Ability to work effectively with research and development partners across the target countries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are essential. As the position is located in Bamako, Mali, a sound knowledge of French is highly desirable.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages and electronic communication
- This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars.
- The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent.
- An attractive compensation will be offered for the right candidate.