The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The Rice Breeding Platform will deliver on key priorities of the Strategic Plan in the areas of breeding for favorable environments, breeding for unfavorable environments, host plant resistance, quantitative genetics, seed and delivery systems and germplasm evaluation.
This position will oversee a group of Scientist who will contribute into IRRI’s new Research Themes in a matrix structure, and provide strategic guidance in research innovations, partnerships and delivery of program and projects. It will ensure improved livelihoods through diversification and intensification of rice-based systems.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and open to all nationalities.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the unfavorable environment team (trait and genetic) to develop varieties aligned with client and donor expectations
- Create, as part of a cross functional team, a variety replacement strategy supported by appropriate product profiles
- Demonstrate the adoption of modern breeding principles that will result in the development of superior varieties at the lowest cost
- Develop germplasm for rainfed ecosystem including aerobic rice/direct seed crop establishment
- Lead contributions of a group of scientists and support staff into IRRI's new Research Themes in a matrix structure and provide administrative support to its members
- Manage performance and mentor scientists and staff in the Research
- Teach degree and non-degree programs, to collaborate in the development of a high performance environment within the Rice Breeding Platform driven by a high scientific level, collaboration, guided by the IRRI strategy and supporting behaviors/values
- Collaborate with government, donors , rice R&D partners, private enterprise to align with client and donor expectations
- Maintain and proactively develop network and partnerships with potential donors
- Introduce diversified cropping systems that broaden the source of a farmer's food, income and social stability
- Increase land productivity while minimizing unpredictable production risks from biotic and abiotic stresses.
- Design and introduce technology that will allow rice production to grown within multiple cropping systems minimizing the impact on the environment
- Supervise, coach and mentor scientific professional and support staff including PhD students, Postdoctoral Fellows, and Scientists
- Publish and actively contribute to articles in peer-reviewed journals/digests that highlight findings from research and experiment activities showcasing the Institute's scientific leadership
- Actively seek external funds and secure partnerships for research and development
- PhD in plant breeding and genetics with at least 15 years of combined experience in plant breeding and research management
- Advanced Plant Breeding and Genetic knowledge
- Strong organizational and communication skills and a good publication record
- Proven ability to perform in multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Experience in handling breeding programs and knowledge of molecular marker technology particularly in QTLs identification and introgression
- Proven track record in mentoring and coaching peers and young scientists
Preferred: Experience with rice research; international work experience