Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Within delegated authority, the Senior Sustainable Development Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Leads in the formulation, organization and management of capacity development programmes on policy, institutional and legislative dimensions of sustainable development and the formulation of possible policies, actions or strategies for the implementation of the Samoa Pathway and post-2015 Development Agenda in the Pacific, including national sustainable development strategies and the processes to implement such strategies;
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects on sustainable development issues; directs the team in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment;
• Leads review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
• Coordinates analysis on the identification of new and emerging sustainable development issues and presents analysis of information gathered and reviewed from diverse sources with plausible recommendations;
• Coordinates policy development; reviews the assessments of sustainable development issues and trends; prepares evaluations or research activities and studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, including background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, and inputs to publications on sustainable development issues;
• Coordinates the implementation of the programmes/projects with substantive divisions at ESCAP headquarters, especially the Environment and Development Division, and the Social Development Division, and the Macroeconomics Policy and Development Division of ESCAP;
• Provides direct substantive support to consultative and intergovernmental meetings, particularly the ESCAP Commission and Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development, by offering strategic advice, giving technical guidance and assisting in developing a consensus, including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, and preparing documents and presentations on sustainable development issues;
• Prepares speeches for senior staff and makes presentations on sustainable development issues at various forums of intergovernmental, governmental, inter-agency, expert or multi-stakeholder nature;
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., gives lectures or presentations on assigned topics/activities on sustainable development issues; oversees web contents and structure for the areas of his/her responsibilities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties, including drafting mission summaries on sustainable development issues.
• Develops and maintains relations with senior officials of member governments and ensures a response to request for advice and/or capacity development on sustainable development issues and policies, including leading capacity development missions;
• Coordinates activities related to the regular budget (Strategic Framework and Work programme) and XB funding (project preparation and submissions, progress reports, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (work programme, programme budget, etc.) for the ESCAP Pacific Office;
• Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the Organization;
• Ensures effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; guides, evaluates and mentors staff;
• Takes the lead in task forces, working groups, inter-agency groups, as needed, on sustainable development issues, particularly relevant to the UNCT Working Groups and CROP Sustainable Development Working Group;
• Ensures gender mainstreaming, including in legislation, policies or programmes;
• Represents the Pacific Office at international, regional or national meetings on sustainable development issues;
• Oversees programme management, finance and administration of the Sub-regional Office and acts as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Head of Office,
• Performs other related duties as required
• Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, natural resources management, law, or related field.
• A first level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, policy-oriented work in a broad range of sustainable development issues or related area.
• Research and analysis in the above fields as demonstrated through authored publications is desirable.
• Experience in leading and managing a sizable work unit is required.
• Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining professional networks required
• Experience working on sustainable development in the Pacific sub-region is desirable.
• English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat.
• For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.