The position will work under the leadership of the Chief of Party and will lead a technical team of up to 14 staff across the project’s eight provinces. The Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for providing technical leadership to design activities that support civil society organizations (CSOs) to strengthen relationships with local governments to work as partners on accountability issues – especially the disbursement of funds at the local level. This position will oversee a team of technical staff. Availability of position is contingent upon award to FHI 360. Position is expected to begin on January 2, 2019.
- Design activities for improving civil society relationships and engagement with local government, enabling CSOs to work in partnership with local government officials while simultaneously addressing issues of accountability;
- Oversee the Civil Society Strengthening Specialist’s work to adapt CSO Capacity 2.0 tools to the Indonesian context and to implement organizational development activities;
- Work with the Civil Society Strengthening Specialist and a team of 12 mentors to engage CSOs and local governments in capacity improvement initiatives;
- Develop tools to equip CSOs to better engage with local governments, including talking points, roundtable consultation strategies, public-private working group approaches, etc.;
- Design strategies to build strategic alliances among local government, CSOs, and the private sector;
- Oversee seminars for CSOs on local and village government structure and governance;
- Oversee technical assistance to district government offices to build the understanding about the benefits of engaging with local CSOs and sub-contracting work;
- Provide technical assistance to local governments on how to develop and use a performance measurement system for CSOs;
- Provide technical assistance to district government on implementing Presidential Regulation (Perpres 16/2018);
- Oversee the provision of legal clinics for CSOs;
- Develop seminars for target CSOs on local government structure, local governance processes, Perda-making, and engagement.
- Perform Other Duties as assigned
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth functional knowledge in area of specialization and detailed knowledge of related areas in the organization.
- General understanding of the external environment and how it affects the industry in general and FHI in particular, including political, legal, environmental, financial and social influences.
- General understanding of organization’s structure, policies and practices, and the impact on own area.
- Strong diagnostic, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to exchange information, present recommendations and collaborate with colleagues and peers within the organization and possibly externally.
- Ability to influence others of the benefits/importance of an idea or plan of action and to gain their support or commitment.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to reach mutual points of agreement and benefit among peers and colleagues.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Is sought out to provide advice or solutions in area of technical area
- Is informed about current developments in area of technical area.
- Works under broad direction with considerable latitude for independent action.
- Specific actions are guided primarily by professional standards and expected outcomes of the program/project.
- Decisions and actions have an impact on the smooth operation and timeframes of the unit programs/projects; impact on the broader organization is generally indirect.
- Problems encountered are complex and may involve unprecedented circumstances; resolution requires investigation, analysis and review of professional/organizational standards.
- Faulty decisions or recommendations will normally result in critical delays and modifications to projects or operations, cause substantial expenditure of additional time, resources, and funds; and jeopardize future business activity.
Education: Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
- At least 8-10 years senior level experience in civil society, governance, organizational capacity building, advocacy, rule of law, or other related democracy, rights, and governance sectors;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and navigate politically sensitive terrain;
- Familiarity with USAID programming, including rules and regulations required;
- Professional proficiency in English required, including excellent written communication skills;
- Experience generating and facilitating government – civil society dialogue;
- Experience with designing and drafting CSO related legislation; and
- Knowledge of the Indonesian legal context, especially related to civil society.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.