Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
• GTIDR is hiring a Senior Transport Specialist, with extensive experience in corridors/logistics/ intermodal transport to join the Singapore GTIDR Hub.
• The Specialist will: (i) lead and contribute to projects analytical and advisory activities (AAA), reimbursable advisory services (RAS) in EAP and SAR (60% of her/his time); (ii) support the Bank-wide activities on development of corridors, logistics and multimodal transport through the DCRI GSG (30% of her/his time); and (iii) forge relationships with partners, in particular in Singapore (10% of her/his time).
• The Senior Transport Specialist will be based in the World Bank’s Singapore Office on a two year appointment, renewable.
• He/She will be expected to undertake frequent international travel, with an initial focus on EAP and SAR.
• The Senior Transport Specialist will work with the GTIDR Transport Cluster Leader to establish partnerships with Singaporean institutions active in regional integration and logistics, and with the Lead of the DCRI –GSG on shaping and implementing the Bank’s strategic and operational support in development corridors and logistics.
• She/he will report to the EAP Practice Manager, Transport and ICT, currently based in Sydney, Australia.
• Her/his activities will be identified with the Practice Manager, in collaboration with the DCRI GSG Lead, and adjusted based on business needs.
The Specialist will have overall responsibility for the following activities, with respect to corridors, logistics, multimodal and regional integration aspects:
• Work closely with the GTIDR Singapore Transport Cluster Leader and the DCRI GSG Lead to develop a strategic approach for the GTIDR Transport Singapore Hub, and in particular the role of the Hub in supporting the transport practice;
• Support and contribute to the shaping and implementation of the DCRI GSG business plan;
• Identify relevant partners in Singapore (international and Singaporean) equipped with advanced know-how beneficial to the GSG and develop framework cooperating agreement with those, together with the GTIDR Transport Cluster Leader;
• Interact with other GPs/other parts of the World Bank group present in Singapore to facilitate the development of comprehensive solutions for our clients;
• Participate in Bank Group lending operations both in the current portfolio and in pipeline;
• Provide technical quality assurance;
• Lead and contribute to teams for AAA and NLTA activities, including cross-sectoral teams established to prepare specific advisory and analytical tasks and studies;
• Engage in and contribute to policy dialogue both with national and sub-national level government counterparts;
• Keep abreast of recent developments in the sector, lead and contribute to developing knowledge products for those aspects; and
• Stimulate knowledge sharing activities in the GP and participate in staff mentoring.
In addition to meeting Bank-wide Grade GG level positions, it is expected that the successful candidate will meet the following selection criteria:
• Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in transport economics, logistics, multimodal transport, trade facilitation, regional integration or similar relevant discipline;
• A minimum of 15 years of professional experience in corridor, logistics, multimodal and regional integration aspects with a track record of designing and implementing technical assistance activities or projects covering such aspects;
• Experience in working with and leading cross-sectoral teams, including teams from Environment, Social, Procurement and Financial Management practices (for Bank staff);
• Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: corridor, logistics, multimodal and regional integration aspects. Knowledge of broader economic, urban development and land use, and climate change issues relevant to the transport sector would be an advantage;
• Experience working in large, preferably middle-income, countries with highly demanding counterpart agencies. Proven track record of innovation in Bank operational work and active engagement in knowledge sharing across countries and regions (for Bank staff);
• Exceptional ability to identify long-range goals and objectives, develop strategic approaches, and conceptualize technical projects;
• Proven ability to build client relationships involving multiple stakeholders;
• Skill at managing donor engagements; and
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.