The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
This position is located in the UNICTFV Office, Valencia Spain, Field Technology Services, Digital Solutions Support Unit. Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager or designated officer and within delegated authority, the incumbent typically reports one of more officers.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Acts as focal point for receipt and processing of user requests.
- Provides some specialized support to unit (technology support, editing, desktop publishing, etc.).
- Provides basic support in the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and maintenance of IT projects related to the Unit functions;
- Carries out standard and non-standard tasks surrounding different and unrelated processes or methods;
- Provides detailed reporting with specified software applications for use in IT centric strategic planning and knowledge
- Performs, under minimal supervision, the full range of office management and administrative support functions; typically provides direct assistance to a senior officer or manager responsible for a major programme, such as a branch or division.
- Responds or drafts responses to routine correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
- Monitors processes and schedules related the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
- Researches, compiles and organizes information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
- Responds to complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answers requests requiring file search, etc.).
- Generates a variety of standard statistical and other reports, work orders, etc., using various databases.
- Proofreads documents and edits texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format.
- Responds to moderately complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answers requests requiring file search, etc.), and as necessary, refers inquiries to appropriate personnel for handling.
- Provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, boards, committees, conferences, etc.
- Assists in the maintenance of websites by scanning, converting and posting a variety of documents onto the site.
- Assists in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Maintains calendar/schedules; monitors changes and communicates relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Performs data entry and extraction functions.
- Reviews, records, distributes and/or processes mail and other documents; follows-up on impending actions.
- Updates and maintains large distribution lists; monitors, prepares and distributes various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; handles arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinates shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
- Performs general administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.).
- Maintains files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
- Assists in providing software and office equipment support.
- Provides guidance to less experienced staff on general office processes and procedures, computer applications, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Impact of Results
The expected impact will be effective delivery of a wide range of difficult administrative and office support functions under general supervision and limited independent judgement. Regularly assists in drafting routine correspondence and other communications. Accurately and in a timely manner, produces a range of documents, reports and other outputs. Appropriately applies relevant policies, guidelines, procedures and processes. Establishes effective working relationships with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Advanced education in Administration, Accounting such as (BSc or certifications) or other relevant certifications desirable.
- Specific experience or training in an Information Technology environment desirable.
- ITIL certification or certifications in other areas of Information Technology or PM are a plus.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in general office support in Information Technology related areas. A candidate with a University degree must have at least one (1) year of experience in the relevant area.
- Experience in technology support in complex organization environment.
- Experience working for senior officials in international organizations, including in a front office setting.
- Experience in maintaining tracking systems.
- Experience in multinational working environment.
Language Requirements: English and French are the working languages of the UN. For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.