Shelter Project Manager
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Shelter Project Management
- Manage the assigned shelter project(s) in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned shelter project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local shelter staff.
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective shelter strategy in consultation with other shelter staff and field managers.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for shelter activities in collaboration with the shelter staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise shelter activities, overseeing the technical design and execution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Line-manage the Shelter Manager(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for shelter activities.
- Financial Management
- Manage the shelter budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management; BSc / BEng in a relevant field desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written.
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) for French-speaking programmes.
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management exper. in a construction context; technical construction skills within humanitarian setting.
- Experience working in a construction / shelter programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context desirable.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips