NRC is looking for a Shelter Technical Assistant for our area office in Damasak, Borno State, in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project activities in Damasak.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Shelter Technical Assistant reports to the Shelter Officer
- Pr-evaluation of needs (Targeting, Needs Assessment, Beneficiary Identification & Selection) and alert the hierarchy of any population movement in the area.
- Provide technical support and orientation to local technicians and community workers, train and develop their capacity
- Implement shelter construction activities, conduct technical assessment and approval of the quality of work and ensure better management of remaining material.
- Conduct community sensitization, awareness, and mobilization to encourage beneficiary commitment to the shelter activities.
- With the support of the Shelter Officer and Shelter coordinator, provide the drafts of technical drawings, Bill of Quantity, site plan and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- construction designs or for any unpredictable soil constraints identified.
- Assist the shelter officer to accurately control the movement of trucks, quantities, and qualities of materials supplied to the site.
- Maintain good working relationships with local authorities, local communities, local committees, and partners as well as with all stakeholders in the NRC area of intervention
- Ensure the participation of female workers in key positions in the construction/rehabilitation of shelters and community infrastructures and other shelter activities
- Represent NRC in-field coordination meeting when required.
- University degree in civil engineering or architecture
- Knowledge of the context in North-Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Experience on implementation of emergency shelter activities
- Experience in household sensitization and training in shelter and infrastructure maintenance
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS, and Google Earth
Education field: Civil engineering / construction
Education level: College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Handling insecure enviroults
- A good sense of humour is nments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering resan asset
All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.