Shelter Technical Assistant
Norwegian Refugee Council, Syria
Closing Date for Applications:
The Shelter/NFI/WASH unit is one of the four Core Competencies (program units) under NRC Syria country office: Shelter/NFI/WASH, Education, LFS (Livelihood & Food Security). Schools Rehabilitation is one of the projects delivered under this unit.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for successfully Implementing and verifying all Shelter/NFI/WASH projects throughout the full project cycle. Depending on the needs of the successful project implementation, this includes:
- Follow up rehabilitation/reconstruction works at works site
- Survey implemented quantities.
- Prepare invoices and periodic reports.
- Compliance check for material types & installation methods,
- Any other relevant task.
- Responsible for Implementing and verifying Shelter/NFI/WASH technical components of Area Office-level needs assessment. This includes:
- Rapid Needs Assessments (RNAs).
- Multi-Sector Needs Assessments (MSNAs).
- Detailed/Sectoral Assessments.
- Construction/process-related assessments (supplier/contractor capacity, preparation of BoQs, drawings and other technical documents).
- Project M&E.
- Responsible for supporting the M&E Unit in achieving accurate and high quality Monitoring and Evaluation activities in accordance with the Syria Response M&E Strategy, tools and guidelines. This includes:
- Collect construction/process outputs and outcomes.
- Collect beneficiaries' feedback over implemented works.
- Assess the quality of implemented works.
- Any other relevant task.
- Responsible for supporting the Protection Unit in protection mainstreaming in all Shelter/NFI/WASH activities throughout the project-cycle.
- All project activities will be conducted in accordance with the Protection Mainstreaming Strategy, tools and guidelines This includes:
- Ensure safety and dignity of beneficiaries,
- Understand their diverse needs,
- Enable meaningful access to NRC’s services,
- Ensure adequate accountability to affected populations,
- Ensure adequate participation and consultation,
- Support the realisation of their human rights.
The position-holder is responsible for maintaining a collaborative working environment with other team members; Shelter/NFI/WASH project team, other Core Competencies team in addition to the Support Teams.
- Bachelor Degree or above (Civil, Architect) with a minimum of 3 years of similar work experience
- Working in a humanitarian/recovery context or equivalent is a plus.
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Fluency in Arabic & English, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills & MS Office software.
- The above-mentioned work experience should be in the field of Construction or similar.
- Skills in using CAD and other essential engineering software.
- Knowledge of the context in Syria.
- Handling insecure environment.
- Coping with change.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
- Working with people.
- Planning and delivering results.