The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs.
About the position
Under the supervision of the Camp Management PDM and in close coordination with the Camp Management Project Managers, the Site Development Project Manager – Shelter and Settlements will be responsible to support the Camp in Charge officials appointed by the Government of Bangladesh through the planning and implementation of site development activities. These include:
- Setting up and maintaining key camp infrastructure to facilitate access to services and improve safety in the camp:
- implementation Disaster Risk Reduction measures for landslide and flood mitigation (e.g. retention walls, stabilization works, secondary drainage channels, etc.)
- Implementation of tree planting schemes
- Installation of pedestrian water crossing, solar lights and fences
- Reinforcement and rehabilitation of pedestrian pathways
- Clearing and levelling of drainage channels
- Retro-fitting of communal facilities as temporary collective shelters
- Taking the lead on site preparation, including family plot levelling and demarcation
- Ensuring that physical barriers and obstacles are removed/mitigated, so that persons with disability and mobility impairments can access services and communal facilities within the camps.
- Managing large-scale cash-for-work interventions ensuring cost efficiency and quality control. In coordination with the Camp Management PDM and PM, liaising with communities to ensure a fair, gender-balanced, and vulnerability-oriented recruitment process.
- Ensuring compliance with safety standards at construction sites.
- In coordination with the IOM Site Planning Unit, providing inputs into camp decongestion and reconfiguration plans as per needs.
- Ensuring quality control of each infrastructure built
- Building the capacity of the NRC Site Development team.
- Representing NRC in the relevant technical working groups looking at Site Development and DRR measures, as delegated by the CM PDM.
- When required, coordinating and liaising with the IOM Site Development unit for reporting and planning purposes.
Our ideal candidate
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience implementing infrastructure or shelter programmes in a humanitarian setting;
- Higher education, preferably in engineering, architecture or related fields of study;
- Good understanding of UN donors’ requirements in terms of documentation compliance, especially in relation to construction works;
- Strong inter-personal skills, working well both in teams and independently;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making;
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Previous experience in small-scale infrastructure construction;
- Previous experience in managing large cash-for-work interventions and monitoring contractors;
- Excellent knowledge of safety requirements at construction sites;
- Proficiency in AutoCad and/or other design software applications;
- Familiarity with the traditional stakeholders involved in humanitarian responses;
- Willingness to travel to the field on a daily basis and work in a potentially insecure environment;
- Experience with start-up programmes;
- Previous experience in Bangladesh is an advantage.
- Proficiency in QGIS or ArcGIS is an advantage.
What we offer
- Contract period: 6 months, with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh, with 10% travel to Dhaka
- Grade: 8 (see the NRC Global Grade Structure)
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start